Cybertron: The lost Power Rangers spin-off

Originally published at: Cybertron: The lost Power Rangers spin-off | Boing Boing

1 Like

I never understood the charm of this TV show. Maybe because I found it a weird mix of high school musical with giant monsters or maybe because I was too old to be part of the target audience. As I grew up watching the Japanese classics and then the 1980s new shows (Could we call it golden age?), I never found it very funny.

1 Like

I was always partial to Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills:
Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills 1994 Intro Opening Ve - YouTube

3 Likes

I remember catching an episode of Spielban in Thailand when i was a kid and being completely awed by it and I saw VR Troopers later and it just really lacked something Spielban had.

1 Like

I thought It was a parody! I was waiting for the punchline.

1 Like

I have not watched the video yet… does the presenter discuss how the word Cybertron was… you know… claimed by another high-profile property like 15 years earlier?

2 Likes

3 Likes

For the younger crowd there was also this:

Super Human Samurai Syber-Squad - YouTube

2 Likes

No idea it was a thing.

I was forced to live through Mighty Morphin Power Ranger in the early 90s when our daughter was 8 followed by the dang movies and a live action show.

And those stupid turtles, I had to live through that as well.

2 Likes

TTAFoBH was so bad, I remember relishing in it’s campy awfulness back when it was broadcast. I can remember two specific episodes:

1. Zsa Zsa Gabor has a cameo as the mayor of Beverly Hills when they are sent to an alternate dimension version of Beverly Hills.
  2. The Big Evil Bad Guy (can’t remember his name) leaves for vacation leaving his chief lieutenant in charge. The lieutenant, instead of following the standard monster of the week format, sends monster after monster after monster to defeat the Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters, completely overwhelming them. Just as the Fighters are about to be defeated once and for all, the Bad Guy gets back from his vacation and berates his lieutenant for not following the one monster a week protocol and recalls all the monsters, and hence saves the Fighters from defeat. I thought it was a hilarious lampshade of the monster of the week trope.
3 Likes

Imho, all the Tokusatsu shows are better in their original format. Saban was a genius in being able to do what he did (though he definitely took a lot from Harmony Gold’s playbook in combining Superdimensional Fortress Macross, Superdimension Fighters Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA into Robotech) to make Power Rangers, but a lot was lost in the adaptation that ultimately made it into an inferior product.

2 Likes

I remember this show when i was little. It would come on at like 6:30 in the morning. I still remember the theme song.

1 Like

Personally I was only briefly interested in Power Rangers and similar shows. I was right in the target audience age-range when TMNT and GI-Joe started airing, and my loyalties were pretty cemented by that point. I’m sure I watched the other properties, but I was never as enamored with them on the same level.

1 Like

Speaking of Power Rangers, I’m thinking Christmas present for my daughter and husband.

3 Likes

That’s a super cool idea Hasbro’s got going there. I see they’re also doing stuff like Star Wars, GI Joe, Marvel and Ghostbusters. There definitely needs to be a bigger range of options though. Not having a Jedi or Sith styled figure for Star Wars is a big miss, and the Marvel line needs to include options for the rest of the Avengers. A Hulk figure with my face would be hilarious for instance!

2 Likes

RPM is better than Go-Onger.

I said it. You wanna fight about it I’ll be at the abandoned factory. You know the one.

1 Like

Right next to the rock quarry!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.