The Saved By The Bell reboot flunked out

Originally published at: The Saved By The Bell reboot flunked out | Boing Boing

Principal Alice Cooper has pronounced :musical_note: “School’s out for summer \\ School’s out forever”

2 Likes

I am still waiting for Madchen Amick’s character from Riverdale to say “Welcome to my nightmare”. The gag is right there with so many opportunities to be used.

To be fair to reboots, especially TV ones, I do feel the Fuller House continuation was pretty spot on. I guess that comes with its own share of issues, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

1 Like

I’d say that it’s less to do with the number of “exclusive” shows and more to do with the fact that nobody under 40 remembers Saved by the Bell.

Bullshit. It was a cultural mainstay in the 90s! I somehow doubt there’s a lot of 15-year-olds who know what Saved By The Bell even was, let alone are super pumped about seeing A.C. Slater walk onto the screen. You don’t just get to declare something a “cultural mainstay” by rebooting it.

1 Like

I heard nothing but good things about this show. It subverted the glossy suburban utopia of the original with a cast and setting that had realistic racial and economic diversity. And Zack’s the bad guy!

5 Likes

You mean the third iteration of “Miss Bliss?”

1 Like

It certainly wasn’t a perfect show, but it was enjoyable. It pokes fun at the ridiculous surreality of Bayside and its classic cast of characters as well as commenting on how much things have changed. You can’t have Zack as the main character today. Had to original been made today, it would be Jessie. She was right all along about almost everything. (Speaking of Jessie, she had an adventure of her own between series. She even went off and became a showgirl!)

Wouldn’t this be the fourth, or are we ignoring The College Years because it’s a direct continuation of the second iteration while The New Class technically counts as today’s more inclusive definition of a reboot?

5 Likes

Our daughter was born in '85, she was in love with that show and all the actors especially the boys.

The problem with rebooting or reimagining the old family shows is they were right for the time, nice and sappy family stuff.

Things have to be so edgy or crass now, the good clean family stuff will never fly.

Step By Step, Family Matters, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Boy Meets World, Home Improvement, Sister Sister, Family Ties, Growing Pains, Who’s The Boss, Perfect Strangers, Mr. Belvedere, Silver Spoons, Webster, Punky Brewster, and one we were binge watching a couple weeks ago… Blossom.

None of those would work in 2022 but in their time they were all great shows.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.