The Schwinn Stingray with a banana seat was cool

Fixed that for you

5 Likes

The preferred bike for newspaper delivery boys in the 1970s. There were these canvas saddle bags for the papers that slung perfectly over the banana seats.

Banana seats still rule. I have no idea why one would want what’s available today.

Some bike shops are doing pretty good electric motor conversions these days…

2 Likes

Speaking of, this makes me think of the Super 73 ebikes which definitely have these retro esthetic and styling cues

2 Likes

This is what I did (mine is blue)

2 Likes

Coaster brakes are the gateway to fixie bikes.

1 Like

After buying the Honeywell Dasher commuter bike (which is fine for riding in city traffic, and it folds up), I definitely would go for a larger wheel size next time. Passing 20 mph on the downhills is really kind of scary with those little, tiny wheels.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s got much to do with the size of the wheels, more about the wheelbase, frame geometry, and overall rigidity. The Brompton foldable has only slightly larger wheels and I rode it confidently down the steep slopes of Durham county, up to the likes of 50kph. But in general, larger wheels do make for a smoother ride, of course!

Bike helmets existed back in the '60s but you only ever saw one on that one special kid in the neighborhood.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.