The science behind twitching eyelids

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/18/the-science-behind-twitching-e.html

1 Like

Are you watching me? I was sitting here, with my left eyelid twitching, wondering WTF, and this pops up in the RSS feed.

I’m a little freaked out right now…

8 Likes

Some of the causes include fatigue, over-exercise, and too much caffeine.

Oh shit, I have all three.

8 Likes

5 Likes

I think anxiety also plays a part.

Some of the causes include fatigue, over-exercise, and too much caffeine.

Not to mention supervising an incompetent employee:

8 Likes

… and so you should, and not just now, but always and far into your future! There are thousands of other causes to eye twitching, ones that science has unquestionably linked to seriously debilitating and deadly diseases!

:wink:

3 Likes

Twitching. With Groucho eyebrows that would look VERY impressive.

3 Likes

According to my optometrist, this can also be due to not cleaning around your eyes enough, especially if you have larger than normal eyelashes. Bacteria. Happens to me occasionally. Easily fixed by paying extra attention in the shower. If my eyes aren’t burning from soap, I’m not cleaning well enough.

I always thought twitching eyelids happened right before a killing spree. Now I feel sorta bad about all those killing sprees I went on.

3 Likes

Do I need to watch the video or can I find papers about twitching eyes and lids on ISI and Google Scholar? :smile:

At least I got an emoticon for that. :wink:

“Some of the causes include fatigue, over-exercise, and too much caffeine.”

And watching the nudge, nudge, wink, wink sketch far to often.

4 Likes

How do we know these are the causes? Why does it only happen with one eyelid and for that matter no other muscle in the body?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.