The science of eggnog

[Permalink]

Forget eggnog. This is the best combination of eggs and alcohol there is:

http://www.marzadro.it/lang_eng/liquori/bellabomba.php

And this is where it’s made:

http://www.marzadro.it/lang_eng/

And I’ll be there next August and restock. Also grappa, of course.

2 Likes

This year I didn’t make eggnog, but I did buy some eggnog ice cream at Trader Joe’s and met my past and future selves…that makes more sense now.

3 Likes

Bourbon? Some weird American thing? Rum is what belongs in eggnog.

3 Likes

… which is reminding me that I still need to get my hands on an ice cream maker; I’ve wanted to try some savory (rather than sweet) ice cream recipes for years.

For 2-4 adults
Separate 4 eggs
Beat yolks with 1/3 cup sugar until they lighten up
Add 6 ounces Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon, mix
Add some fresh-grated cinnamon and nutmeg, mix
Add 8 ounces half-and-half or heavy cream, mix thoroughly.
Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into eggnog.

Ergo, simplest ice cream ever: put eggnog into an ice cream maker and let it do its thing. YUM!!

1 Like

Bourbon does not go into eggnog! RUM goes into eggnog!

Am I the only one who didn’t grow up with any sort of booze going into egg nog? No run, bourbon, brandy, etc. And I’m not talking because I was a kid and not allowed, I mean the adults weren’t doing it either.

And a large part of my family puts schnapps into hot chocolate, bourbon into heated gingerale (and not any gingerale, but the all powerful Vernors), etc. These are people who’d booze the crap out of eggnog if given a reason. But no, we drank it straight.

I mean, it’s awesome when boozed up, but def. not a tradition for me.

2 Likes

No, you aren’t the only one. Family customs around food can be pretty random.

3 Likes

You, sir, are a fool. Egg nog is far better with bourbon. Heck, it’s even better with domestic brandy.

the only thing that separates eggnog and ice cream is bourbon and some time in a freezer

wait, wait… so all I have to do to get tasty eggnog is melt some ice cream and mix in bourbon? This is the kind of recipe and science I can get into.

Nekulturny. You’ll be telling me to use rubbing alcohol next.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.