The science of why cats like getting into boxes then peering menacingly over the edge

Food piñata: a smelly tasty treat that the cats have to tear their way into.

No idea about cats, but it works on rats.

2 Likes

I’m owned by three cats. Two of them have similar tastes in toys but it’s really hard to predict what they’ll like. With three of them, though, it’s almost a sure thing at least one of them will like whatever toy I get.

I bought this one toy back when I only had two cats. It’s one of those kitty fishing pole toys but it has two balls that are each on their own string. It was for the kitty who likes rat/mouse/bird toys. He hated it. The cat who mostly only likes yarn and the captured ball scratching thing I got them … he liked to play with the balls without human intervention. Totally unexpected. :heart_eyes_cat:

They all love boxes though. :inbox_tray:

I caught the picky one in our most recent box just last night (or Friday, I forget).

Whenever we’re doing play time, if there’s something new in the living room (whatever it is) they want to incorporate the new thing into play time even if it makes no sense at all. Laundry basket? :wastebasket: Great fort to launch secret attacks from. Folding chair? Sneak attack from the other side. Big but shallow box? Ugh, barely fit but this will do somehow or other. :kissing_cat:

I got them this battery powered one that swings a little wand around randomly because the youngest was a bit too rambunctious for two tired adult humans and two tired adult cats to keep up with. I ended up having to teach him how to use it. :laughing: Then the older (but least picky) cat got in on the action.

2 Likes

New Zealand’s population of native flightless apices was driven to extinction by the introduction of domestic cats.

Until I look in the box I never know if my cat Schrödinger is alive or dead.

1 Like

I know the inside/outside debate inflames passions, but I will never regret our decision to let one of our cats be more of an outdoor cat. One cat was literally a scaredycat and enjoyed the lazy comfort of domestic life, but the other one, you could just see how happy and fulfilled he was when he could explore and hunt a little. I loved playing with him and kept toys and the usual crap around but it just never interested him.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.