The second T in Toronto is silent—isn't it?

cbc what GIF by Kim's Convenience

4 Likes

Yes. Since all we’all talk about up here is Tonono, (it being the cultural, political, economic… centre of Canada), and little else, we shorten it. Leaves more times for "eh"s.

1 Like

6u8p7z (1)

3 Likes

But the third T is pronounced and the fourth T has the same sound as “gh” in “enough.”

Especially fun when there is a Monongalia General Hospital and a Monongahela (Valley) General Hospital. And they are in different states!

5 Likes

Reminds me of Chicken, Alaska.

Due to the prevalence of ptarmigan in the area, that name was suggested as the official name for the new community. However, the spelling could not be agreed on, and “Chicken” was used to avoid embarrassment.

source: Chicken, Alaska - Wikipedia

6 Likes

Easy, “Worcestershire”!
I grew up in Gloucestershire, so I knew how to pronounce Worcestershire before I could even read. When I see that word I associate it with the correct pronunciation.
What I can’t remember is whether currently the county is ‘Hereford and Worcestershire’, or two separate counties. I swear it changes every few years when I’m not looking.

1 Like

Now do Warwickshire :grinning:

“Waarrickshuh”, but because I’m from Gloucestershire the ‘arr’ sounds like a pirate.
To get back on topic, ‘Bristol’ is pronounced ‘Brizzle’.

3 Likes

Ypsilanti

2 Likes

The trick is to remember that the 4th w is silent

12 Likes

All of them?

@GratuitousFish WTF is a soft k?

“Willowufgoodshire”.

1 Like

I believe it’s some kind of hovercraft.

2 Likes

Ok. Makes sense. Suck, blow, far too much noise, and little control.

Ip-sill-ANTY. Now name this thing:

3 Likes

Big dong?

Season 2 Dark Comedy GIF by #Impastor

7 Likes

You’re on the right track!

3 Likes

All you tourists better keep a straight face when you hear an Oregonian say “Couch Street” :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Brick you know what. Something about it falling over if a virgin ever graduates from Eastern.

As a kid we got out that way mostly for Wiards in the fall.

When we got married we had no money so my mom and dad paid for a weekend at Weber’s in Ann Arbor.

I never got into all the football rivalries because I didn’t attend any of the colleges. One day I’ll see a game at The Big House.

Oh that’s interesting, because I do pronounce the second T in Toronto if a bit softly, but I don’t pronounce the K in Etobicoke at all.

1 Like