The second T in Toronto is silent—isn't it?

Raised directly across the lake from there, I pronounce Toh-RON-to without its four m’s and silent q. Of course, we also pronounce RAH-chester, so what do we know?

3 Likes

Similarly, the “t” in Montréal is not pronounced (“Moan-ree-ahl”) unless you’re an Anglophone, in which case the “t” becomes a “d” (“Mundry-al”).

Naturally, it’s complicated, 'cause it’s in “Kuh-bek.”

Hmm. This Brit has only ever said “marleyb’n”, only tourists or those who’ve never come across it before every pronounce the first part “mary”.

2 Likes

I pronounce the second T, and I lived in TO from ‘99-‘19, except for a couple of years. Lived in Ontario nearly my whole life. Head out to Landsdowne and St Clair area; a lot of first generation Canadians pronounce the second T.

2 Likes

Mohn-ray-ahl, Kay-bek.

Source: I live here. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Je habite ici aussi! :open_mouth:

But my ear has never been great, so I’m happy to defer to your wisdom.

2 Likes

Bonjour mon voisin. Je pense que c’est j’habite, lol.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Bonjour! It’s probably pretty obvious that I’m still in my level one Francisation class :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think these kinds of pronunciations don’t usually extent to demonyms. @VeronicaConnor mentioned the second A is dropped in Calgary, but it is still stressed in Calgarian.

For the record, I have both heard Calgarians say Toronto with both Ts, and Torontonians say Calgary with both As. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A teacher once told me that the T in Montréal is silent…

2 Likes

In the preamble to his interview with Glenn Gould, Frenchman violinist/filmmaker Bruno Monsaingeon clearly pronounced the second “T” in Toronto. Based on that, would I be correct in assuming that French Canadians would pronounce Toronto as Bruno did?

1 Like

Yup. With even a bit of emphasis on the ending “to”.

2 Likes

Ok. My description of how Bruno pronounced both T’s: breathlessly

Does that sound about right?

1 Like

I’m not sure, that seems kind of ambiguous. It’s kinda like toe-ron-TOE.

2 Likes

That’s it!

1 Like

It is in French. In English we say it as Mon-trey-all or Mon-tree-all.

2 Likes

Yah, most non-Calgarian Canadians pronounce the second A, which annoys Calgarians to no end. :joy:

3 Likes

See also, Brisbn, Canbra, Darwn. The entire second word of “Wagga Wagga” can just fuck off, too. We tend to get bored of city names by the second part. Absolutely adorable when tourists pronounce place names in full in thick accents tho.

4 Likes

Me too. And Amy Walker as well. I’ve lived in Australia for over 15 yeas, and had absorbed - without noticing - the 2-syllable rule. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I tell people “talk as if it’s cold outside, and opening your mouth makes you colder.”

2 Likes