The second-worst fast-food commercial in history

I miss ferns. I wonder how long it will be before the retrohipsters take them up again and start wearing ties to fern bars. Sure would beat the universal reclaimed wood look.

1 Like

I Immediately thought of the Quizno’s ad campaign. https://youtu.be/55oVPn7sFuM

4 Likes

Me too, Rax was one of my gigs in college! I had forgotten about it, OMG. I wasn’t around for Mr. Delicious, thankfully.

1 Like

It’s interesting to see how everyone--everyone--jumped onto the non-sequitur driven ad bandwagon, making progressively weirder & weirder & more random advertisements even for products where confusion and humor don’t make a lot of sense. And yet even amid this vast sea of strangeness, some companies (some marketing firms) get it right, and smart, and some just… fall lazily into a place of uninspired absurdity. Geico continues to have one of the better conceptual runs, I think.

1 Like

We had one almost directly across for OSU. The thing that was the biggest draw for broke college students was the nigh-endless salad bar, which included pasta. About $5 could get you all the lettuce, veggies and carbs you could stomach.

2 Likes

my pops owned an ice cream and sandwich shop in a small, touristy town in Central Texas.
He served a meatball pita. It was gross.

1 Like

I’m getting pretty sick of Progressive Insurance ads, though, and the LIMU Emu series has been just stupid from the outset.

4 Likes

Does anyone remember a satirical British radio serial (I think it may have been called “1994” but I don’t remember) in which the hero is tasked with writing a tag line for Katzenbrau, the world’s worst beer? He gains instant acclaim when he comes up with “KATZENBRAU: IT MAKES YOU DRUNK.”

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 2.23.37 PM

Mr. D bears a striking resemblance to this guy.

4 Likes

As someone who was living in America in the '80s… also never heard of it. I’m guessing they never made it to California, and reading the wiki page, it sounds like, although they expanded outside the US, they didn’t make it past the midwest?

2 Likes

A target demographic of toothpick users is…not the widest net you can cast.

1 Like

Ohio is a huge hub for fast food. It is amazing how many national and regional chains either started in Ohio or have, at some point or currently, had their headquarters in Ohio.

Here’s some, but they missed a lot.

Oh, and I had a Rax King last Sunday. Way better than Arby’s, way better. Worth a 3 hour drive.

Welcome to Stan’s Supreme Sandwiches. Can I interest you in one of our fine previously-made Sandwiches? I’d stand on my head to make you a deal!

2 Likes

As someone who was living in America in the '80s… also never heard of it. I’m guessing they never made it to California, and reading the wiki page, it sounds like, although they expanded outside the US, they didn’t make it past the midwest?

They made it to Washington state, I ate in them as a kid.

1 Like

“So we hear you like fast-food spokespeople who are fake businessmen with off-putting personalities and bitter, misogyny-driven public feuds with their exes!”

8 Likes

Ironically when I was a kid that was Hardee’s. I remember their roast beef sandwiches being pretty good, not exactly Arby tier, but they had variety so that counted for something. But even 35 years ago the local Hardee’s wasn’t exactly the cleanest or best run fast food place.

(Plus they had a kick ass outside kid play area. I mean like actual big kid slides, jungle gyms, ect… You know the things that get you lawsuits now.)

1 Like

It’s like what Don Draper and Roger Sterling would come up with when they were on acid and all introspective.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Sounds like when I was stationed in the US. Every time I drove home to the St Louis area I had to bring back crates of White Castle belly bombers. My poor Mustang would reek of them for a week.

1 Like

I didn’t know this was a thing! But the “stylized” use instantly brings to mind the quite-excellent (IMHO) anime series Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo.

2 Likes