The second-worst fast-food commercial in history

It’s weird because of so many groups that are lactose intolerant, depending on the country/region. On one hand, it could mean it’s so good they’re eating it despite the risk. On the other, it could be showing that their ice cream is becoming more popular around the world.

My experience with chains in China was limited to Pizza Hut. That was a case where the pictures looked like pizza you would find elsewhere. What was actually on the menu were combinations of ingredients I’d never seen before. The tuna pizza with Russian salad dressing sauce and a bit of definitely-not-mozzarella cheese on top was tasty, though.

5 Likes

There are A&W and DQ stores within 20 minutes of me in the Bay Area. I remember being treated to Dilly Bars, Buster Bars and Blizzards at the DQ as a kid. A&W burgers and onion rings were the best and I am sure I still have an A&W root beer mug somewhere. I used to love the tray of food hung on the window by the girl in the spiffy uniform.

1 Like

They’re alive if not well in the US. Along with Tastee Freez (the inferior DQ)

1 Like

(DQ and A&W):

not-dead-yet

6 Likes

Must be regional. They are pretty common here in Kentucky. A&W is often paired with Long John Silver’s in the same building. Dairy Queen is pretty popular too, we have five in my city. DQ is about the only place I can get a pineapple milkshake.

1 Like

@1:50: Did we just hear about Mr. Delicious’s vasectomy?!

. . . while checking out Mr. Delicious’s Chevrolet Corvair?!! I guess there won’t be any Rax meals for Ralph Nader!

1 Like
2 Likes

I can bike to DQ in about 10 minutes. A&W is about a 20 minute drive away, but they still suck so I’d never bother. I live in Virginia.

2 Likes

Interesting to hear from people around the US how many DQs and A&Ws still exist. I honestly thought they were gone because I’ve travelled a lot around both coasts and the Deep South and never seen one of either. For comparison, both chains are everywhere in Canada. Like, my small home town has one on every corner basically. There are places where you can see one DQ from the other. They’re like Starbucks. :joy:

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, still not as many as there used to be.

only-mostly-dead

5 Likes

Just needs some chocolate coating to help it go down?

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed the '62 Corvair in the '80s commercial. Had to be intentional and an iconoclastic statement of some kind.

2 Likes

As common at Timmy’s?! That’d be waayy too many ice cream joints.

Corvairs have gotten some love airtime in commercials recently.

2 Likes

Wow, he looks like a cross between Einstein and Colonel Sanders!

The cakes do melt, but one time I got a cone at carvel in late spring/early summer and it just…didn’t. Even as it approached room temperature. To this day I couldn’t tell you why.

1 Like

The voice of Mr. Delicious reminds me of Roger Bowen.

1 Like

The great fast food chain? Nation’s Burger. The founder started it in/near Oakland CA after the war, expanded it successfully for a few years, but by now there are only a dozen or so of them left, mostly in the East Bay area of northern CA. Burgers, fries, veggie burgers, grilled cheese, similar fried stuff, variety of shakes, and in most of them, pie.

Yup. Carvel was a distinctive voice. We didn’t bother having a TV in NJ in the 80s, but his ads were on the radio a lot, and Carvel ice cream cakes were a standard thing.

When I moved to Monmouth County (Central NJ) in ~1980, there were no chain pizza places. All the pizza restaurants were family owned, and three of them apparently hadn’t kept the family happy, because they burned down that year. There were lots of takeout fast food restaurants in the area, but in Red Bank itself there was a McD’s for a few years, until the town council chased it away. Some years later a Pizza Hut opened; I don’t know why anybody went there, since it was a heavily Italian area and even the bad family-owned places were a lot better.

Back when I ate meat, I went to Arby’s once or twice, but it was never that interesting. I’ve been to them more as a vegetarian, because the one near my office was the only drive-through that still had coffee in the evenings for the commute home, and they also had good fried potato cakes.

1 Like

That would come as quite a surprise to Warren Buffett. DQ has been held by Berkshire Hathaway since 1998.

1 Like

It does seem like there aren’t as many as there used to be, but I gauge this by the fact that the one closest to where I live happens to have closed.

There are almost 600 DQs in Texas alone – the old joke there was that every town had (at least) one.