The secret of Triscuits revealed

Throw the snails out, eat the garlic butter?
I might be a bird but I ain’t no Song Thrush. :nauseated_face:

6 Likes

Well played! (And welcome!)

2 Likes

Also, “No business records survived”? What the HELL happened at the Triscuit factory? Did the building explode? Did someone run out of the doors and yell “It doesn’t mean THREE!” right before perishing in a giant blaze?

:rofl:

4 Likes

Triscuits Electricity Biscuits are my favorite cracker. Crispy, salty, delicious. Can be a bit dry, but great with toppings, especially the olive oil rosemary ones.

4 Likes

this is so great.

when america was becoming electrified, there were so so many odd beliefs about electricity because people had never seen it before and it seemed a bit like magic. cures for diseases, age extensions, etc.

makes perfect sense there’d be a cracker baked by electricity to give it some ineffable goodness.

5 Likes

So you confirm that Triscuits are thrice baked.

2 Likes

I’d guess the name may have something to do with the “starts with three simple ingredients”

Fortunately the inevitable “radscuits” of the 1950s didn’t weather the tests of time…

12 Likes

files for Trademark on the (not yet existing) product Quadriscuit

7 Likes

Being an American product, I assumed the secret was sugar. But it looks like sugar is well down the list, so … it’s not got much sugar.

2 Likes

The official Triscuit account has now confirmed, or is at least going along with, this theory:

6 Likes

“Tri” refers to the three main ingredients, which are salt, salt, and salt.

7 Likes

On the topic of biscuits - does their name have anything to do with double-acting baking powder? Because I only bake them once.

(edit: american style- flour, liquid, fat, baking powder, salt - formed and baked for a dozen minutes or so)

I went down the rabbit hole, and found…
The Vital Question

6 Likes

Half Jacobs Cracker, Half Shreddie, All Salt.

2 Likes

I am counting the days until it is safe to enjoy escargot at the local bistro. :yum:

1 Like

Nah, they’re just a linguistic abomination.

Quadrotriticale has already been taken - it was inwented by a little old lady from Leningrad. My cousin Chekov told me.

5 Likes

They’re great with Dubliner cheese, a slice of tomato, and onion.

Just sayin’.

1 Like

in answer to my own question, someone posted the below pamphlet. it was just regular-old, ho-hum electric ovens, which were magical, futuristic technology back then:

HOWEVER, someone else made the Niagra falls/electricity connection to Tesla and in this list of his patents and articles, one of his missing articles (like a “known unknown”, I guess):

PDF:
https://t.co/K9VsP8RLdZ?amp=1

so, we are faced with the very real possibility that Tesla rigged up the electricity to the original Triscuit ovens.

7 Likes