The secret to a heavier Chipotle burrito: a simple yet cunning strategy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/28/the-secret-to-a-heavier-chipotle-burrito-a-simple-yet-cunning-strategy.html

3 Likes

I wish one didn’t need to employ this strategy.

Its seems consistent serving sizes could be achieved throughout the chain, with the right tools and training. Custom scoops for every ingredient if need be. Since this is not what Chipotle is doing, I guess it’s the employee vs. the customer to minimize food costs?

7 Likes
7 Likes

l always wait until after the employee puts the first scoop of chicken on my burrito to ask for double chicken

seems like just asking for quintuple chicken would potentially be even more glutton-able. reminds one of the halcyon days of a salad bar which permitted any amount that would sit upon the plate. contestant #1 (a biologist): “focus on the beans n’ cheese n’ meat bits, i mean, what’s lettuce? cellulose n’ water”; contestant #2 (a structural engineer): “Ya gotta use the celery for initial framing and buttresses, don’t ya?”; contestant #3 (a law student): (reaches over and grabs a full dinner plate)

5 Likes

19 Likes

Back in the day, a scoop was scooped with a fist-sized scooper. Now it’s done with an eyeball remover.

2 Likes
4 Likes

It’s just more to paint the toilet with when you get the shits.

Full disclosure. I like Chipotles, and do eat there pretty regularly.

2 Likes

no ty Chipotle seemed like slop food to me

Somewhat related corollary:

I got a chip in a new windshield. The clerk took care of the paperwork and told me there would be no charge, as expected. She then opened the door to the service bay and announced, “Warranty repair!”

Now I’m wondering why the guy fixing it needed to know that I wasn’t paying for it.

Al la Chipotle, I should have had them fix it and, when ready to pay, “remembered” that it was under warranty.

5 Likes

This is why so many coupons say “must be presented upon ordering” so they can do the crappy version of their work.

3 Likes

I think it’s more so that they don’t have to adjust the price if they ring it up before you’ve presented the coupon.

2 Likes

I have the opposite problem. I always try to ask for light rice, cheese and sour cream and still end up getting a giant burrito that, after 75% consumed, feels like a chore to finish unless I’m really hungry. I’ve never understood the calculus of getting as much as possible out of a situation. When I worked in a brewery, people would freak out when we’d release a high gravity or barleywine (:face_vomiting:). We’d often serve them in a 10 oz stem and people would lose their shit that I wouldn’t serve a pint or more than two in a setting. And I’m 100% certain that the people demanding pints didn’t even care for the beer per se. Just why?

3 Likes

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized I really shouldn’t be eating a 5lb burrito…

You do you, but my scale says a single dollop of meat is enough for me.

6 Likes

and now they change their policy to preemptively shut this behavior down…
“Hello, how many servings of protein would you like?”

but this “hack” is pretty mental, as you can just ask for a little bit more if you feel like it isn’t enough, even on the single serving!

also, who is this cheap for an extra ounce?

Just go to the Chipotle I usually go to. They over fill everything. I have to ask them to go light on everything, because they want to cram as much as they can in there, and half the time, the tortilla bursts. Then they have to get another tortilla, but half the time, they just wrap a second tortilla around the first, which I really, really don’t want. I don’t know who trained them, but they’re costing Chipotle a ton of money at this one location.

3 Likes

On the one hand, sure, let’s trick people into giving you a few extra ounces of meat when you’re already paying the upcharge for an extra scoop. On the other hand, if you want extra food, ask for larger servings of the veggies without adding to your bill. From what I’ve read, we’re kind of overdoing it with protein in our diets anyway.

When I was younger and could more easily metabolize things, this was my preferred service and the local Chipotle and Panchero’s would do just that. But I appreciate a nice, fully contained burrito that won’t drag in me the rest of the day.

1 Like

I’ve done Chipotle a couple times and was unimpressed. On the other hand, if I can’t make the new guy at Moe’s cry when he’s trying to roll my burrito, then I haven’t done my job.

3 Likes

At my local chipotle the portions are smaller when it’s slower. Come rush period they put tons on; I figure they are in such a hurry to move people through the line they don’t have time to worry about the corporate mandated portion sizes.

1 Like

I know people love their chipotle hacks but christ, it all sounds exhausting. I mean, it is more food than I should probably be eating in one sitting anyway.

I just want a nice burrito.

1 Like