The secret world of hidden independent nations

[Read the post]

Me, I’ve already booked my trip to Molvania for Spring Break next year.

1 Like

Not a movie, but Thomas Perry did an awesome and awesomely funny novel about the rise of a micro state, Island, in the '80s. Can’t recommend too highly. http://www.amazon.com/Island-Thomas-Perry-ebook/dp/B0055E6RA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446917923&sr=8-1&keywords=thomas+perry+island&pebp=1446917928137&perid=13MGJCW0HDP66BSV9ZWT

1 Like

Gee, it makes me grateful that I don’t rely upon other countries for mines validation and self-worth. This fails my sovereignty Bechdel test.

1 Like

It was called The Mouse that Roared, and it was quite good!

8 Likes

Does it include The Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta?

2 Likes

This article seems to conflate actual separatist movements like Ogoniland with joke movements like Sealand. While I find the latter amusing, whatever you think of the legitimacy of separatist movements, they exist for more serious reasons than the right to make their own stamps.

1 Like

The article recognises that too.

Despite these more eccentric examples, Middleton wouldn’t consider trying to set up a country himself. “Having trawled through so many serious stories of yearning and oppression, I don’t think it’s appropriate to take it too light heartedly,” he says. “For so many people it’s a matter of life or death.”

3 Likes

Well I’ve been thinking of incorporating myself so the Republicans will give me free stuff, but why stop there? If I was a sovereign nation, maybe I could get me some of that Iraq baksheesh!

1 Like

I thought Sealand was a serious attempt to provide actual offshore hosting free of interference, not a whimsical souvenir stamp/coin/knighthood seller.

4 Likes

Or “Passport to Pimlico” too I guess.

1 Like

Or both… :wink:

1 Like

One can also get a NSK passport, and there used to be a website where one could get a Yugoslav passport (post-Yugoslavia). So there are also states that are intentionally virtual as well.

http://www.nskstate.com/

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.