The Shining's behind-the-scenes secrets

Originally published at: The Shining's behind-the-scenes secrets | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Shining GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

20 Likes

The Stanley renumbered one of the rooms to be 237.

2 Likes

Yeah the managers were like, no one will want to stay in that room. Tourists: can we stay in that room?

8 Likes

I came here to see if anyone had commented on #thedress colors yet. In the leading photo of the article, the dresses look 1) light blue in the screen grab on the wall, and 2) light green in the actual exhibit.

I’m curious if this is a similar effect to the 2015 debate (blue/black vs white/gold), which was discussed in wired’s article amongst many others.

For fans of this film and/or Kubrick in general, I strongly recommend Blank Check’s series on him. They get into who he was, his process, and what it was like to work with him. Lots of fascinating background on each of his films as well.

Apparently his process was essentially “do so many takes that the actors lose all sense of reality and forget their own names”. He would literally ask for hundreds of takes of a three second shot of an actor walking quietly through a door. He always said it’s because he knows the right take when he sees it and he has to get the actors out of their own heads first, but opinions are mixed on whether that’s really why he did that. :grin:

Interestingly, I think the Blank Check boys’ research turned up a different version of the manuscript story. I think (I may be misremembering here) that they said it was a team of PAs who typed the 500 pages of writing. They apparently took turns doing typing duty on that in between other jobs. I may be misremembering that though.

2 Likes

My guess is that the movie set was lit/filmed a particular way, whereas the blue/white dress is a true perceptual illusion. What I want to know (and this is probably an illusion too), is why do the shoes look so darn big?!

2 Likes

giphy

1 Like

Movies do a lot of colour grading in post production (there are whole teams of people listed in the credits for this). It’s often surprising how much things change colour from how they were filmed, as part of this process.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.