The signage battle of Dude Chilling Park

Originally published at: The signage battle of Dude Chilling Park | Boing Boing

8 Likes

The fewest elements required to identify the subject. Dennis is the Al Hirschfeld of sculptors.

Reclining Nude aka “Chilling Dude”

15 Likes

They needed to chill.

14 Likes

Dear Vancouver,

Will Ferrell Chill GIF

7 Likes

The Dude, chilling:
dude abides GIF

13 Likes

Well when a barge broke free and washed up on the beach at English Bay the city responded with this :slight_smile:

14 Likes

My home town! Actually, the city has been pretty cool about the whole thing. Besides, I don’t think anyone ever refers the the park by its official name anymore.

6 Likes

For many, many years, the Squamish First Nation have been asking the city to rename Sunset Beach to something more historically appropriate Í7iy̓el̓shn (not sure how to pronounce that). Then along comes this barge and the beach is renamed after a few weeks. This was not a high point for reconciliation.

3 Likes

I think the humour in it was well intentioned, but I agree (and thought it was a good instance of civil disobedience to paint the correct name over it, too. I think that got as much or more mileage than the original sign).

I’m with Ronnie Dean Harris (Stō:lo/St’át’imc/Nlaka’pamux artist) on this one:

“If it’s that easy to make a Barge Chilling sign then it’s that easy to put up a place name sign and a QR code and everybody can learn” (Source: CBC, 05 Jan. 2022).

3 Likes

Right…it’s hard for me to fault the Park Board for having a bit of fun, but also…the blowback should have been predictable.

I will miss that barge when it’s finally dismantled.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.