A town called Fucking was renamed Fugging in 2020

Originally published at: A town called Fucking was renamed Fugging in 2020 | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Did they not talk to anyone from Shitterton?

15 Likes

There is one street in our town with a suggestive word in it. That one is mounted much higher than all other street signs.

7 Likes

road signs attracted many chuckling tourists who would steal the Fucking signs as souvenirs.

Fugging isn’t going to help with that.

11 Likes

Ah, fucketaboutit.

9 Likes
8 Likes

If the town council doesn’t manufacture and sell official signs with the old town name then they should be voted out in the next election

Also sell the signs indicating “you are now leaving Fucking”, obviously

13 Likes

If it was named after someone named Focko why not rename it Focking instead of Fugging?

3 Likes

I’m voting for “Fockington”. Maybe “Focksville”? Should keep with the founder’s name for Fock’s sake.

4 Likes

If I knew someone who lived there, how would I Mailer?

1 Like

ge
Oh, well, y’see, in German “Focking” means when the guy takes his ::beeeeeeeeeep:: and the woman ::beeeeeeeeeeeeeep:: and then they ::beeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeep:: and then the goat that has been standing there the whole time ::beeeeeep beeeeeeeeep beeeeep::

1 Like

they should rename it to Ficken, then all the english speaking tourists would leave it alone (probably)

2 Likes

6 Likes

In the winter, that place is like a…

3 Likes

Tourists ruin everything.

1 Like

One would think their population should exceed 106.

7 Likes

“You go from Fucking to Fugging, Licking to Sucking, Kissing to Biting, and eventually you arrive at Alabama.”

3 Likes

There is a tiny village in Germany called “Bicken” whose signs in the area had the the lower right part of the “B” scrapped off. I was on a dirt road and the sign said “:arrow_left: Ficken 2km”. I laughed, my college-exchange friend laughed, her brother the priest didn’t understand why we thought vandalism was funny.

4 Likes

There’s a village on the west coast of Scotland by the name of Stromeferry. When I went past there years ago, somebody had helpfully added to the road sign at the Stromeferry turnoff the words, “NO FERRY”.

1 Like