The Singing Ringing Tree, a haunting sound sculpture looming over Lancashire

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/08/17/the-singing-ringing-tree-a-haunting-sound-sculpture-looming-over-lancashire.html

6 Likes

Build an altar-like that around here and you’d just summon an EF5.

North America Weather GIF by BBC America

8 Likes

The opening shot of the first video had a definite Miyazaki vibe to it. Now I want to visit Burnley.

3 Likes

I want to see the car that that’s a hood ornament for.

5 Likes

The Singing Ringing Tree was also the name of an East German film that was imported by the BBC in the 60s and apparently had a pretty lasting psychic impact on UK youth at the time

4 Likes

Glad it’s not in a residential area.

1 Like

There are times I want to build a really big wind chime, like 8’ or more (and obviously a diameter to relative scale).

Then I think how irritating it might be…just because we can doesn’t mean we should.

-although that’s exactly how I picture any future planet we might explore will sound.

2 Likes

No, you really don’t.

5 Likes

Yeah I thought it looked like a tornado too… kinda sounds like one.

2 Likes

Sounds like a Hafler Trio project

1 Like

No. You don’t.

ETA I see @evilkolbot beat me to it, and with citations.

3 Likes

So, there is what I think is nearly an identical statue to this one near me. So much so that when I saw the picture I assumed it was the one I know.

OK, yeah, it’s modelled after the one from the UK

4 Likes

Also, I had always assumed it was a statue of a tornado, even though we don’t get too many in Austin.

2 Likes

Just me? Ok, then.

2 Likes

“Something, something … four thousand holes in Burnley, Lancashire … something, something…”

I’m probably not remembering this right.

3 Likes

Blackburn. Small tip, don’t make that mistake in Lancashire, there’s, uh, rivalry.

5 Likes

Yeah, I know, I used to live near there. Luckily I’m making that mistake from the relative safety of Canada.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Got to go and visit this. It’s really not that far from me.

2 Likes

really surprised something like this hasn’t been made for burning man. it would be perfect out on the black rock desert, too.

4 Likes