The Soda Museum celebrates the history of vintage soda pop and its memorabilia

Originally published at: The Soda Museum celebrates the history of vintage soda pop and its memorabilia | Boing Boing

5 Likes

always feel the connection to the somewhat more serious pharmacology should be recalled along these historical sojourns

Coca-Cola once contained an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass. (For comparison, a typical dose or “line” of cocaine is 50–75 mg. In 1903, it was removed.

[7-up] The product, originally named “Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda”, was launched two weeks before the Wall Street Crash of 1929. It contained lithium citrate, a mood-stabilizing drug, until 1948. It was one of a number of patent medicine products popular in the late-19th and early-20th centuries. Its name was later shortened to “7 Up Lithiated Lemon Soda” before being further shortened to just “7 Up” by 1936.

7 Likes

One of the pictures at Atlas Obscure features, off in the distance, a vintage milk vending machine, and I just had to go do some digging to find out more about it…

2 Likes

We drive by one of the oldest soda pop bottling plants around pretty regularly.

And right down the street…

better made

And a few minutes from both of those, Towne Club Soda still bottled in Detroit.

We also have Vernors and Sanders.

Right down the street from Faygo was the historic Strohs brewery. Unfortunately, after 120+ years, the million square foot brewery was imploded in 1985. A sad day for us Detroit beer drinkers.

We also have Vernors and Sanders.

Have I mentioned how much I love Detroit?

6 Likes

I had my first Faygo last year, I think, finding it at a rest stop on I-35 north of Wichita. Never had it before, despite ICPs ringing endorsement.

I hope the museum has a whole wing devoted to Mr. Pudgins. He (famously?) made soda pop run out of the faucets in the house where he was child minding John, Pete and Janey.

I adored this book in the early 70’s. My kids enjoyed it much later. I have aspired to drive jalopies like him. My copy is falling apart. It has some parts that unsettled me as a kid. “Mirror children”: say no more.

Due to their cuteness, it only makes sense that the soda coming from one of them must taste better.

No, that’s because it’s in glass, which doesn’t leach into the soda. Modern cans are lined in plastic, and of course most “bottles” today are purely plastic, and so the vast majority of sodas today taste like the chemicals that leach into the soda, as well as whatever else it’s supposed to taste like. Hey, it’s not like many plasticizers are toxic, or psuedo-estrogens, right?

Right?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.