The soft sexism of functioning pockets

You say that as if you think patriarchy is only perpetuated and enforced by men

7 Likes

I know that it’s not. But men can’t fix the part that’s perpetuated and enforced by women.

So fix the parts that you can.

That’s a good place to start… if you’re not just having some ‘fun’, by pointing fingers and saying “not my problem!”, that is.

12 Likes

That’s depressing

7 Likes

I buy most of my clothes at op shops (thrift stores). If I could afford to buy multiples of wondrous pocket filled clothing I would, but I can’t.

7 Likes

You know how on Amazon you can ask questions about the product? Every skirt I looked at that I liked I’d scroll down and every time there was “Does this skirt have pockets?”

15 Likes

maybe that was confusing the search engine.

2 Likes

It’s Amazon. The search engines are confused by default. Oh, you wanted a green article of clothing? Here, let me show you these that are every color except green …

12 Likes

I was also looking for a “portrait collar dress”. The search gave me turtlenecks.

9 Likes

Well, if nothing else on this fine evening of the first presidential debate, I now know what a “portrait collar dress” is. And, that is why BBS rules.

13 Likes

I wanted this one, but I didn’t want to pay $130 for it and I’m not entirely sure I fit in Lane Bryant; I’m a 10-12 so the top end of “regular” sizes and not quite “plus”. So I went looking for a cheaper version. Ironically, every actual dress like that I found cost more.

3 Likes

Firstly, that’s a lovely dress. And the hat and sunglasses are now a must. Now I’m creating a narrative where you go all Joan Collins into a board room with that outfit and take them all to task. (Sorry, my imagination runs away at times.) Not to go too far off topic here (although this is a thread about pockets for christ’s sake), but the sizing differentials in women’s clothing is exhausting. I’m anywhere from an 10 to a 14, depending. I shop for my son or husband, and it’s a 30- or 36-inch waist with respective lengths.

11 Likes

It’s sold out now I see. Also pretty sure it didn’t have any pockets. :frowning:

4 Likes

You could stash a fair bit behind the lapels on that though.

3 Likes

Also compatible with the “using my bra as a pocket” tactic.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Not sure if serious…

6 Likes
5 Likes

Well, a tweed one for @japhroaig, obviously.

3 Likes

Yeah, but those only come in black. We’ve been promised a future of people swathed in silver. Not sure why the color is so specific, but possibly because you can accessorize with any other color?

3 Likes