The stairs in a viral sensation public library in China run with blood, and its "books" are just sheets of aluminum screened with pictures of spines

I totally misinterpreted the headline: the idea of stairs running with blood and stark aluminum spines had me imagining a deliberate public-space-as-HR-Geiger-would-have-done-it construct, not mere architectural puffery and loose relationship with practicality.

7 Likes

The entire original post reads as an unintentional critique of post-modernism. Not just the architecture, but the global zeitgeist, generally.

underrated post.

2 Likes

“But the white stairs are a health-hazard, their irregular risers and low-contrast color scheme are a tripping hazard, especially when combined with selfie-taking; […]”
What’s not to like?

2 Likes

Touché!

That is either the farthest I’ve seen anyone take a meme reference or the best recovery from a fumble ever.

1 Like

A library with second-order simulacra. Hmm.

It needs a “fuck you” on the handrail.

1 Like

You can reproduce the experience. Just wrap your Kindle in diamonds and razors and keep it empty.

1 Like

What I have said before when this ‘library’ was mentioned is this: This space, which happens to be inside an actual library is surely not meant for either reading, or storing books, instead it’s just a well lit, fancy, smarty looking selfie backdrop. That’s it.
So really, the books, and the stairs can be just as staged as the subsequent selfies they’ll be in; it doesn’t matter.

The quoted librarian is probably happy that this will keep all the noisy poseurs out of the real library.

3 Likes

My mind immediately went to “Oh Crap China… What sort of authoritarian crack down did you have in a lbrary of all places?”

1 Like

it reminds me some pictures of North Korea’s supermarket…like cardboard scenography http://lh4.ggpht.com/-IeWvRrNwuHY/TmD68AMX0hI/AAAAAAAAQE4/lBrLJahtCtw/virtual-store-1%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

1 Like

It would be interesting to see if there was any poorly translated english fake books in that atrium.

Speaking as someone in China, I sussed the title immediately. Stairs in China can be rather unsafe. Some are fairly old and not in the best repair, but even new ones can be risky. They’re often not marked well, so the edge of the step isn’t easily apparent and they may not all be of the same height. I’ve been caught before by a little two inch step thrown in at the top or bottom.

Most impressive library I ever used: National library of Austria, Vienna.

It’s the most beautiful, well-stacked and most public library I ever came across.

They handed me a 16th century book, after half an hour of waiting time, in a classic reading room. All I had to do was to order it at the counter, and present my ID. And I’m not an Austrian national.

Plus, they have got the Dioscorides.
The book of Kells might be better presented, but hands down: this is the best you can have in you collection.

3 Likes

when I use the library of congress, I use the Adams reading room (slightly dingy)

rather than the Jefferson (fancy, tourist attraction).

Much more quiet

1 Like

Are we absolutely certain that this is not an extension of the Library at the Unseen University? (Scroll down to 2nd picture)

After all, its librarian would be able to reach the books on those inaccessible shelves.

The Librarian found out that opposable toes come in very handy when climbing up the book-shelves and sorting books.

2 Likes

Oooooook?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.