The story behind Dr. Bronner's, the soap company that's been fascinating people for 75 years

Originally published at: The story behind Dr. Bronner's, the soap company that's been fascinating people for 75 years | Boing Boing

6 Likes

It has the nostalgic air of the old time medicine show crank about it. That can be appealing.

3 Likes

Pro tip from 50+ years of Dr. Bronner’s use:

Refill your foaming hand soap dispenser with water and 2 – 3 tablespoons of Dr. B’s Castile liquid soap.

Perfect! Cheap! All-One!

12 Likes

Literally stole the words out of my thumbs! I love foaming hand soap and think it’s one of the greatest recent innovations. That I can sub out Dr Bronner’s is just… :kissing_smiling_eyes::ok_hand:

4 Likes

I have a biodegradable version of the liquid soap that i use to make a neem oil mix to spray on my house plants that have pests and works great. Barely put any soap in it but i have the peace of mind that it’s not going to harm my plants :slight_smile: I haven’t used it for anything else but it’s good to know that it’s quality stuff. And as a side note i find the label to be distinctive in a good way, it’s very easy to recognize the products on the shelf

4 Likes

Sorry I stole the words out of your thumbs, but at least theyʻre clean thumbs.

5 Likes

One of our local theaters (Know Theatre, Cincinnati) just finished their run of All-One: The Dr. Bronner’s Play.

I missed it, but it looked like fun.

5 Likes

One of the 18 uses that I can’t understand, though some camping friends sware by, is as a toothpaste.

Toothpaste is not soap. There are no oils that need to be emulsified on your teeth. The actual properties of real toothpaste — the mild abrasiveness, increase in pH, and fluoride — are not in soap.

If you’re camping and a tube of toothpaste is too heavy, just brush your teeth with water, the physical act of brushing is the main benefit of brushing teeth anyway, the additions in the toothpaste are minor effects in comparison.

4 Likes

I had to do that this past weekend. I was at a hotel with one of my partners and we found that we were both out of the travel toothpaste we usually have in our bags. (Apparently we’re out of practice for such trips after such a long pause over the last few years.) We did not want to go back out to the local grocery store just for that, so Dr. Brooner’s did the trick. For an actual substitute of toothpaste a bit of baking soda is required, but the mild soap does give a cleaner feel than just brushing without water.

I don’t recommend it for long term use, but as an occasional emergency measure, it works. (As for weight: as I understand it, the idea is that a tiny bottle of Dr. Bronner’s is your soap, shampoo, toothpaste, dish soap, and probably some other things I’m missing.)

2 Likes

Dr B’s has been my shampoo for the last 10+ years. I prefer the citrus scent, but most mainstream stores only carry the peppermint (I think) and only the pint size. Every few years when I’m running low, I head over to Whole Foods, which carries the quart size citrus and other versions.

3 Likes

Just a hint-the front desk at most hotels will give you a small tube of toothpaste if you ask. Others will sell you one from their store.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m sure they would have. That would also have involved leaving the room and talking to someone. We were both done with that kind of nonsense by the time we actually got there! :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.