Like an Irish Spring

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/like-an-irish-spring.html

6 Likes

It makes ya feel tingly!

13 Likes

My old barracks-mate used to go to the chow hall and get pancakes, bring them back to the room as takeout and take a shower with Irish Spring. The combination of ■■■■■, treacly scents was extraordinarily nauseating.

Ha! So m.o.i.s.t is a banned word here? Good to know.

17 Likes

The Irish are renowned for their pleasant fragrance.

18 Likes

It amuses the keeper of the banned words list and the most of the mutants here.

14 Likes

I can’t see the video b/c youtube is blocked at work but I always think of the King Missile song. Is it the King missile song?

2 Likes

Though if you want to be authentic; Murphy’s Oil Soap is the way to go.

19 Likes

No just a commercial that if you were watching TV in 1980 would be forever etched into your brain, which I guess will be something nice about the sweet release of death when it comes.

14 Likes

Damp and cold, with lots of swearing?

My wife still can’t believe that I put it on my junk. But after 10 years, there’s not much feeling left…

6 Likes

i wanted to buy some Irish Spring last week, and couldn’t find it at our local grocery. i ended up getting 3 bars of Kirk’s Soap (“American Made Since 1839”), which has a very pleasing, classic soap-y scent to me. it’s probably YOUR fault that Irish Spring isn’t around anymore, you Bronner-using hippie.

EDIT: what’s so creepy about this commercial, anyway?

7 Likes

Irish spring is one of the harshest (and cheapest) brands.

I went to a dermatologist about a rash, and question one was, “Do you use Irish Spring?”.

I switched soaps, no more rashes.

11 Likes

So…did the pancakes go in the shower as well?

23 Likes

I don’t even want to know how that’s harvested…

5 Likes

26 Likes

They use a strigil.

16 Likes

It’s not really creepy. But it would gave been better if Ardal O’Hanlon was in it.

2 Likes

My daughter was 4 years old when this was airing on TV. One day she asked why that man said ‘clean as a whistle’ because whistles are full of spit.

32 Likes

You mean there’s more than one?

The only time I’ve seen “■■■■■” was when the writer was trying to say ■■■■■.

ETA: on topic: former Irish Spring user myself (high school). Discovered Bronner’s in college (among other things). Using Dove unscented nowadays.

7 Likes

And for Johnson’s Wax?

7 Likes

I always thought of John Dillinger when the Irish Spring guy pulled out his pocket knife and carved a piece off a bar of soap.

13 Likes