The story of the 'sosumi' beep and other iconic Apple sounds

Originally published at: The story of the 'sosumi' beep and other iconic Apple sounds | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Needs more wild eep. Get your classic Mac sounds here:

https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/stevenjaycohen/macossounds.zip

6 Likes

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

You’re welcome.

4 Likes

At about 3 minutes in, the video mentions that apple removed the signature bootup chord. But my mac mini m1 still has the chord. And I don’t believe I’ve futzed around with nvram.

(On the other hand, perhaps apple realizes that the mini can startup without a monitor to display diagnostics, and people are unlikely to bring minis into libraries, coffee shops, and lecture halls.)

1 Like

I was so happy when I learned this command. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

For some reason, no idea why, my new PC has, from what I remember anyway, the same Control G beep sound on startup that my Apple II had in 1986 (OK, it was an Apple II clone, a Panasia, with 48K - no 16K card enabling lowercase). I kinda like the little beep.

I watched the video in hope of discovering the origin of wild eep.

1 Like

So Apple went from getting sued to making that their corporate motto towards third-party parts and repairs. Nice.

Apple reinstated it a year or two ago. I actually never owned one of the chimeless macs, it was a short-lived thing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.