The strange "No Frills" series of totally generic genre fiction books from the 1980s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/10/the-strange-no-frills-seri.html

9 Likes

As long as there are printed words on the page, that’s all the frills I have ever needed in a book.

10 Likes

[Generic Comment: complete with ill-informed opinion, attempted humour, mispelling, and, poor punctuation]

19 Likes

The punctuation, it hurts me.

9 Likes

I want these books!

Well, the SF one anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

OK, HAPPY MUTANTS, PAY ATTENTION

I am going to link to the ORIGINAL BOING BOING GENERIC META-COMMENT THREAD

but to understand it, first you must watch

NOW you are ready to comprehend the thread in context

2019-06-10-105054_640x480_scrot

2019-06-10-105212_640x480_scrot

2019-06-10-105241_640x480_scrot

BB no longer retains comments from that long ago but, they are still available to us at the INTERNET ARCHIVE:

How to report the news Boing Boing

20 Likes

really makes you want to sit back, crack a BEER and relax…

12 Likes

We still have those comments in a database, one day they shall be live again

17 Likes

[ Ghostbusters gif about not crossing the streams ]

9 Likes

Lame attempt at a Black Mirror review in the style of TV Wipe.

7 Likes

GenericsRepoMen

11 Likes

They assemble a crew and blast off to Pluto, where they stumble upon few clues but several surprises.

En route, the rocket’s exotic fuel requirements lead to predicaments culminating in uncertainty about the availability of oxygen.

4 Likes

IKR? I mean, how can that SF book miss when it has aliens, giant ants, space cadets, robots, and one plucky girl.

They had me at the giant ants, frankly.

10 Likes

I’m reading one of those books right now

4 Likes

Apparently Alex Cox experienced problems in attracting product placement for his film, “Repo Man”.

5 Likes

Is that a Cowley (UK) comma?

1 Like

If I may be so bold… you’re in your 20’s or 30’s, aren’t you?

I’ve shopped in stores that looked like that. It was a thing. I still don’t understand why. I was just a kid.

I still remember the CHIPS, RIPPLED. I also remember the CHEESE BALLS and GREEN BEANS. Thankfully, my parents were Pepsi people so I didn’t have to drink COLA (ugh) or ROOT BEER (better) very often. Literally just products in white packaging and names that were just descriptive of the contents, with no branding or design, just stark white packaging with black text on it and a bar code.

7 Likes

These look almost generic enough to be the “Content” that people sometimes talk about when discussing all creative works of some market value as though they were some sort of fungible slurry.

1 Like

Back in the 1980s, generic branding was really generic. Those in Repo Man came from Ralphs.

http://www.bobcantor.com/repo/faq.htm

Stop and Shop’s generic livery didn’t even have color.

You can see generic beer here:

4 Likes

What, no “EROTICA”?

5 Likes