The strangely unsettling motivational posters of Silicon Valley

They’re better than the “traditional” motivational posters with jet planes and the like.

And a number of them make sense.

Just not in a sequence or aggregate.

2 Likes

What I find most odd is not the fatuous clichés themselves, but the attraction to sententiousness, which one finds as well in greeting card stores and Whole Foods supermarkets. Clearly, the main motivational effect of a motivational poster is to motivate somebody to hang it on the wall, thinking that they are doing something… But what?

2 Likes

IBM notoriously hanged a great number of posters saying merely “think!” around one of their shops.

They were taken down after a series of vandalisms added the words “or thwim”…

5 Likes

From Despair, Inc., makers of the demotivational posters:

“MOTIVATION - If a pretty poster and a cute saying are all it takes to motivate you, you probably have a very easy job. The kind robots will be doing soon.”

2 Likes

FEWER! FEWER! Gah.

1 Like

For the sake of efficiency I think we could combine a number of these posters, e.g.:

Stay focused and get shit shipped is better than perfect details.

Life is short. Break things that matter. Fail.

4 Likes

But couldn’t “less meetings” mean fewer and/or shorter? 20% of my workday is meetings. No?

True, I suppose. How about:

“Less time in meetings. More time coming up with facile aphorisms.”

4 Likes

Not in the English language.

Perhaps it’s Lee’s meetings, and they just lost the apostrophe. Can’t tell if that’s worse or not.

1 Like

These would make far better posters.

I mean, “fewer milks” is possible too, if the emphasis is on different sorts of milk. So why can’t meetings be viewed as a continuum?

Your are absolutely correct! It is perfectly fine to say “fewer kinds of milk”, and it would be perfectly fine if this poster said “fewer kinds of meetings”. It doesn’t though.

Why defend some Silicon Valley tool’s poor grammar? A pithy poster that means what they intend to say is “Less meeting. More doing.”, but that wouldn’t be a direct quote from tool credited.

Maybe I’m bitter about my time in various start ups, small companies and the great dot-com madness of the late 90s. But all these make me want to start chugging vodka and breaking things. Or maybe just chugging vodka and curling up on the sofa to ponder how I’ve completely burned out any desire for a “career” at anything.

1 Like

I love how anti-motivational this topic has become. Let’s all do nothing… and LIKE it! :heart:

1 Like

I for one, prefer the Skeletor Affirmations. They at least make me laugh.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.