These odd NSA motivational posters from the 1960s look like props from The Prisoner

Originally published at: These odd NSA motivational posters from the 1960s look like props from The Prisoner | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I have the mayor of Scarfolk on line three. He want’s to talk to someone in charge…

15 Likes

13 Likes

egads, i had no idea the NSA ever communicated “outwards” in that fashion (thankee for the education!) other than to bless some new method of encryption or not. to which, all the nerd-lings say: if the NSA likes it, surely they must already be able to break it? ((hi guys! try the lasagna in the NSA cafeteria today))

3 Likes

this is some fucked up shit

7 Likes

Probably where many of these posters resided.

5 Likes

Back in the late 80s when I worked in the Pentagon, the telephone handsets had these great stickers on them. Their was an illustration of a phone line draped over a hammer and sickle and the text said something like. “This line might be a PARTY line. Do not discuss classified information on this phone.”

9 Likes

7 Likes

We have modern variants of these posters around our office. The more things change…

6 Likes

How very 1984

2 Likes
6 Likes

Recycling content is the new black.

6 Likes

“ I am not a number, I am a free man!”
I have very fond memories of The Prisoner, the set design and costumes were very iconic, and the fact that the titular Village was and is a real place came as quite a surprise to many people.
It’s been suggested that Patric McGoohan’s character is John Drake, a spy he played in an espionage series called Danger Man, but it’s never been confirmed.
McGoohan also had a long-running connection with Columbo, directing, producing and appearing in a number of episodes.
Great actor, sadly missed.
Oh, and some of those posters are creepily appropriate to the current political and social climate.

3 Likes

I don’t get this one

2 Likes

Oooo, take some photos and post them!

1 Like

Not allowed to photograph in the buildings I’m afraid.

1 Like

… for some vague and multivalent value of “real”

It’s an awkward attempt at irony, wherein crossing out “God” and “the people” is being implicitly denounced as the sort of Bad Thing they do in the USSR

4 Likes

There might even be a motivational poster warning against photography.

“Tiktok is a ticking time bomb waiting to blow a hole in the nation’s SECURITY.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.