The struggles and triumphs of Indigenous communities around the world

Leading Museums Remove Native Displays Amid New Federal Rules

The American Museum of Natural History is closing two major halls as museums around the nation respond to updated policies from the Biden administration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/26/arts/design/american-museum-of-natural-history-nagpra.html

https://archive.ph/CNUPA

1 Like

N. Scott Momaday, a Pulitzer Prize-winning storyteller, poet, educator and folklorist whose debut novel “House Made of Dawn” is widely credited as the starting point for contemporary Native American literature, has died. He was 89.

Momaday died Wednesday at his home in Santa Fe, New Mexico, publisher HarperCollins announced. He had been in failing health.

“Scott was an extraordinary person and an extraordinary poet and writer. He was a singular voice in American literature, and it was an honor and a privilege to work with him,” Momaday’s editor, Jennifer Civiletto, said in a statement. “His Kiowa heritage was deeply meaningful to him and he devoted much of his life to celebrating and preserving Native American culture, especially the oral tradition."

“House Made of Dawn,” published in 1968, tells of a World War II soldier who returns home and struggles to fit back in, a story as old as war itself: In this case, home is a Native community in rural New Mexico. Much of the book was based on Momaday’s childhood in Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico, and on his conflicts between the ways of his ancestors and the risks and possibilities of the outside world.

2 Likes
3 Likes

TL;DR: a small clique of people appears to have captured the Indigenous Peoples of North America WikiProject, and is assiduously engaged in redefining what qualifies one to be considered Indigenous American. Mainly by narrowly and incorrectly setting the standards so that most people don’t meet them.

(via James Davis Nicoll’s Dreamwidth.)

7 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

Damn, NZ too? I had hoped they would maintain their sanity but apparently the nationalist/fascist/white supremacist wave hits everywhere. God, i hate this timeline!

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

"At least 15 bands answered the call and requested that donations be deducted from their government annuities, added to the fund, and then sent to ‘our suffering fellow subjects and Christian brethren in Ireland and Scotland,’’ according to Mark McGowan’s research. McGowan is a professor of history at the University of Toronto and has spent time going through the archival documents.

“We really don’t know how this story was lost,” he said.

6 Likes

Whenever a scientific paper mentions Indigenous people or issues, my first check is for an Indigenous co-author. It shows me how closely the researchers worked with native people, and more importantly, it’s a metric of trust put in the research by an Indigenous partner.

This may be the first time I’ve ever seen an entire Indigenous nation cited as a co-author of a paper. Not an individual, not even an office. The entire St’uxwtéws First Nation.

#SciComm #fire #ecology

https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/ecs2.4795

7 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes