The struggles and triumphs of Indigenous communities around the world

4 Likes
6 Likes

This is pretty messed up and will be interesting if the investigation figures out what happened.

Lawrence is a liberal college down, with an overall pretty low violent crime rate (at least murder wise). I suppose you might compare it to Austin, in how it is bluer than the rest of the state.

4 Likes
5 Likes

A joint investigation in 2022 by the Charlotte Observer and the News & Observer in Raleigh estimated that North Carolina’s poultry operators generate about 2.5bn pounds of manure each year, creating substantial pollution. (Bob Ford, executive director of the North Carolina Poultry Federation, did not respond to multiple requests for comment on this story.)

The industry’s rise has acutely affected rural counties like Scotland (22.4 million broiler chickens sold in 2022, compared with 7.7 million in 1997) and neighboring Robeson (52.9 million in 2022, 16.9 million in 1997). The region includes some of the state’s densest populations of Black, Latino and Native residents, among them Currie, an enrolled member of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina.

With few state-level avenues for regulatory relief available, Currie and fellow Lumbee activist Donna Chavis, together with the non-profit Friends of the Earth, took their case to the federal Environmental Protection Agency. Last April, they partnered with the environmental justice clinic at the Vermont Law and Graduate School to file a formal complaint against the North Carolina department of environmental quality (NCDEQ) under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits race-based discrimination in federally funded programs.

The complaint alleges that NCDEQ is “abdicating its responsibility” to regulate an industry with proven environmental impacts in North Carolina and beyond, including nutrient leaching into waterways and ammonia emissions into the air. Currie said he had personally observed high bacteria levels, algal blooms and fish kills, all tied to runoff from poorly managed chicken waste. …

5 Likes

I was picturing cow manure when I read the headline, and was a bit grossed out, but hey, the country smells like the country. Chicken litter??? Holy shit, the ammonia generated by a couple houses makes it hard to breath in the vicinity! This must poison a huge area around the site! And yes, we have plenty of experience in my area with poultry houses. This? Oh, hell no!!

6 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

[Indigenous Peoples Day (Brazil) - Wikipedia]

ETA

[In a Letter to the Three Powers, Brazilian Indigenous People Relate Temporal Landmark to Violence - 23/04/2024 - Brazil - Folha (uol.com.br)

6 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

I hit a paywall, so:

Looks intriguing. I didn’t realize that Métis identity can be such a mess!

Unusual source for a demand for book banning too.

4 Likes

Cartoons Comics Rage GIF

6 Likes