The surprising spryness of fighters in 15th C armor

Yeah, but if they were women, armored women, they’d be practically naked, right?

5 Likes

My research agrees with your statement.

The skill and prowess those ancient women soldiers must have had to avoid being wounded was exceptional.

5 Likes

21 Likes

only to level the field - women are practically unstoppable in combat

7 Likes

Yet more evidence in favor of teaching Dungeons & Dragons in schools.

12 Likes

I’m always bewildered that people are surprised by the sprightliness of armored fighters. I mean–they were in combat! If they were slow and clumsy, they would have died! Nobody would be wearing heavy, tiring, incredibly expensive, personally fitted armor if it was a general hindrance in battle.

4 Likes

In one of the Forgotten Realms comics, a female character from the novels guest starred. While not as bad as above, it did leave the part you would most want to stab completely open.

And this is what I loved about the TSR/DC comics in the late 80s/early 90s - they had honest attempts at humor.

One of the characters was like, “Isn’t your armor, er, drafty?”

“Eh, it’s enchanted.”

5 Likes

They didn’t seem to be so tough at Agincourt when they were all bunched up and sloshing around in the mud.

2 Likes

I have a small collection of this ridiculous stuff because it’s so entertaining, but there has always been a pool of nerds ardently clinging to boob plate above and beyond the joke. The internet has taken a lot of the jokes about it away and has just left a really nasty bunch. I do agree that some of the Planescape Torment style mocking of it is entertaining though.

It’s made a strange era of “it’s magic, I don’t have to explain shit” where you end up with this +1 leather armor:

The adventure module (Paizo’s Pathfinder Kingmaker AP, the first book) even goes specifies it’s magical and works because magic.

4 Likes

At Crecy and Agincourt they were slow and clumsy and died in great numbers against lightly armed opponents. Because armor is a terrible thing to wear in massed confined areas or in muddy conditions.

See Henry V, the Kenneth Brannagh version for a pretty accurate reenactment. (The Olivier version puts the emphasis on the longbowmen and ignores how terrain factored into it)

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, what is pic that from?

Google says

1 Like

Neat-O!

Maria the Virgin Witch. A really bizarre anime that on one side has scantily clad joke-y anime plots mashed together with very accurate depictions of combat during the Hundred Years’ War. It somehow works OK and isn’t a terrible show about war, idealism, and the rights and wrongs of Christianity.

3 Likes

Looks fun. Just what I look for in anime.

I just went through Rose of Versailles, a gender-bending tale set in the time just before the French Revolution. About a noble girl who is raised as a boy to become the official bodyguard for Marie Antoinette. So this is a fun segway.

1 Like

Yeah, as a kid I really never liked really unrealistic fantasy stuff. LIke I HATE Blizzard’s designs for war craft and such.

Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore always struck a chord with me on what fantasy should look like (thought they were not immune to painting silly armor as well, a lot of their stuff looked at least reasonable.)

1 Like

Well modern butted link reproductions are significantly heavier than the riveted link mail of the originals, so you have to be careful with this comparison.

The limitations of nice suits of custom plate are that they are quite tiring to wear all day, and the vision out of them with the visors closed is quite poor.

1 Like

Well, to quote a character in Dhalgren, “Ya gotta say this for women, they don’t fall down as fast as men when you kick 'em in the nuts.”

8 Likes

I can still enjoy Frank Frazetta mostly because it cannot in any way be misconstrued into anything beyond titillating artwork, but yeah of the OSR era artists I know Jeff Easley is probably my favorite. Speaking of artwork, I think it’s been a continued highlight of fifth edition for the most part. Hate the halfling art all you want, but from the bard art in the player’s handbook to the art throughout the adventures I really appreciate it as an upgrade to the other Wizard’s of the Coast published editions.

@simonize I only know the basics, and never heard that before. I thought mail was replaced by plate almost entirely because of the weight and crafting time improvements - jack chains and helmets were cheap and light compared to a coif.

Frazetta is a whole another creature because his actual artistic ability makes any issues you have with the subject matter go away. And he liked to draw basically naked people.

6 Likes