The surprising spryness of fighters in 15th C armor

Mail continued to be worn by many who could not afford custom plate. Lots of “standards” (neck and shoulder protection) for instance were used. Mail shirts which could be worn under civilian clothes were popular in the renaissance. It is my understanding that major centers of high quality plate armor production were located where the local iron ore was suited to the production of high quality steel. Without the impurities that would tend to make the steel more brittle and difficult to work.

But on GoT they seem to put on their plate 1st thing every single day, certain character seem to live in their armor. Even on a show of ridiculous stuff that is pretty high up there. My favorite scene is nimble Bron fighting the armored knight at the Aerie as Tyrion’s champion. “You do not fight with honor”. “No, but he did” pointing out the Moon Door towards the dead knight who probably hadn’t even hit ground yet.

2 Likes

Well a lot ore reproductions are based on Middle Age designs, I imagine Renaissance armor was more advanced. It makes sense though.

As for he brittle steel, I hear that thrown around a lot to disparage a point but sources seem limited. You hear about Japanese smiths having crappy steel to work with and katanas being extremely brittle because of it, but I’ve seen people post sources saying that was just for cheap mass produced swords of the time. It’s always a difficult debate with a lot of passion Involved.

I will say I still like a full suit of mail with a Dane axe or a shield and sword more than plate armor. I know it doesn’t work as well as plate armor, but I like the look of huscarls on viking. That or bronze era hoplite.

1 Like

You just go in the armor. It’s your squire’s job to clean it up after.

2 Likes

Natural selection at work!

When heavy armored guy is getting up is when I come by and bludgeon him in the head

1 Like

Always knew that was a shitty job.

Agincourt?

1 Like

The important thing to note is that these very elaborate suits of plate armour came about when the Middle Ages, mounted knights, etc. were basically on their way out already. They are essentially feats of early Renaissance engineering, and were more of a way of very rich guys showing off the level of craftsmanship they could afford than something you would encounter in great numbers on an actual battlefield – for various reasons that have already been mentioned, including advances in infantry weapons.

The crossbow was particularly dreaded because, unlike the longbow, its use didn’t require years of practice to get the needed skill and loads of muscles in the right places. Sure, an archer could launch a whole boatload of arrows from his famous Robin-Hood-style longbow while the crossbow guy was still rewinding his weapon after his first shot, but if you were at the receiving end, a crossbow bolt would punch a deadly hole into your expensive plate armour just as well as an arrow would. In the Middle Ages, the crossbow as a weapon of war was considered quite unsporting because it allowed random foot-soldier-type grunts to take out knights way too easily, when it was really only knights who were supposed to fight other knights.

2 Likes

Interesting, may have to look at that.

Must admit the show popped up in a list when i was last searching for new anime and even as someone who watches a fair bit of anime, i skipped straight past this one almost entirely due to the name…

1 Like

Don’t be an ass!

By Crom! Barbarian Juggalos!

3 Likes

https://wiki.erfworld.com/Hvs.tCF_71

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.