The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was inspired by a crowded department store

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/08/28/the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-wa.html

4 Likes

I can relate.

8 Likes

It’s not Christmas. You just don’t like people.

2 Likes
2 Likes

So I am not the only one who has had that feeling.

Ha! “part like the Red Sea”-- good one.

4 Likes

That’s more ‘Night of the Living Dead’ with a fake chainsaw, but, hey. Since both of them died recently, I’ll give you this one. Also, the chainsaw would be absolutely perfect for Black Friday.

1 Like

This film was extremely revelatory for me, first seen in my late teens. It was early in the morning at an SF con in Baltimore. I was horrified by what I was seeing. Then I was flat-out shocked that people not only paid to watch this, but were thrilled by it. That’s when I started wondering if I was an alien…

3 Likes

I can relate.

2 Likes

Well? Don’t leave us hanging! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Can you wait about 3 years, 4 months? As you know, by established convention an alien upon introduction must be taken to your leader. And, well… Nuff said.

3 Likes

In his autobiography Simon Pegg talks about how he sneakily got out of watching it when a neighborhood kid secured a copy and he added that even as an adult he finds it challenging.

So…y’all are from the same planet?

1 Like

Possible. He and I certainly have something in common. Throughout my childhood people were saying “Scotty beam me up! B’wahahaa!”

3 Likes

Chainsaw freaked me out when I first saw it because when it said “based on a true story” (or whatever) I naively believed that it closely depicted something that had actually happened in that time and place.

I’ve never been a big fan of true crime books and movies, though I love fictional horror and film noir, etc.

2 Likes

And in a move which is echoed in the new TV version of “Get Shorty”, the movie was partially funded with drug money.

2 Likes

The French director of the movie ‘Raw’ saw it at the age of SIX! WTF?

“My parents brought me to a dinner party, I think,” she recalls. “Probably my older sister was sleeping at a friend’s and they didn’t find a babysitter or something. So they just put me in the bedroom with the TV, and I changed the channels. I guess the people whose house we were at must have had cable TV. The thing is, I only remembered it afterwards. Ten years later, I was a teenager, and someone told me, ‘You should watch this movie; it’s awesome.’ I watched it and I realized I had seen it before. And then I saw myself in that bedroom, watching the movie. I remembered.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.