The trailer for 1899 looks like a mindbending thrill ride

Originally published at: The trailer for 1899 looks like a mindbending thrill ride | Boing Boing

4 Likes

It looks promising, but I said that about other streaming entertainment…

2 Likes

That combination of setting and era doesn’t really appeal to me. I enjoyed Lost (at first), Manifest, and multiple shipwreck or ship-based mysteries from the 1930s forward. Unless someone convinces me this is unique or compelling, I’ll pass. :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

Lost wasn’t a good show, but it was good at suckering people into it. My question for Lost was “where is this going?” (the answer was, mostly nowhere) and I get the same feeling about this one.

3 Likes

If it’s even near as good as Dark, it’ll be great…

And hopefully, they’ll find some music for the opening as good as they used for Dark… Listen to this shit…

Did you see Dark? Absolutely bonkers straight through, in a good way… It just totally goes in completely unexpected directions the whole way through…

11 Likes

I think that I’m programmed to like anything that includes Jimi Hendrix’s “All Along the Watchtower.” I’d pretty much given up on Battlestar Galactica until that song showed up. I’d give a dramatic reboot of Caillou a chance as long as the trailer played AAtW.

3 Likes

I love Dark so much. Unfortunately it feels impossible to say anything about that isn’t a spoiler.

It is not for everyone, but I would recommend to everyone to give it a chance. Just for the love of God, don’t google it if there is any chance that you might watch it. Certain things are very easy to spoil and very hard not to spoil.

9 Likes

Steampunk Event Horizon? I’m in.

3 Likes

Really true…

2 Likes

Haven’t seen it, but will check it out. Thanks!

2 Likes

You’ve issued me a challenge. How does this sound?

Dark is a present-day Science Fiction mystery/thriller, in which the residents of a small town in Germany learn that time travel paradoxes are not threats to their existence — they’re foundational to it.

For us BBS schlubs -

2 Likes

It’s is just the beginning. It’s going to be one hell of an awards season.

1 Like

Still a bit too spoilery for my taste.

1 Like

Looks good - does anyone know if it is done and dusted in one series; or will it be one of those titles that is cancelled before it can come to a satisfactory conclusion? I can’t count how many programmes I’ve started watching and then had the rug pulled from under me.

1 Like

It looks like an indulgent, easy-listening version of The Terror.
Not that that’s a bad thing…

For me, the biggest difference between Lost and Dark is that the creators of Dark knew from the beginning what the mystery was, and took the time to add the layers knowing just what the payoff was going to be. It has everything Lost was missing, and in my opinion, they not only managed to create a truly complex mystery, they stuck the landing as well.

3 Likes

I’m getting some Obra Dinn vibes from that trailer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.