The "transactional love economy"

Say what now?

Did I just fall through a time vent into the 1950s?

12 Likes

I know someone in his mid 40s, got divorced (she wanted it, found someone else), so he bought bitchen car and went out to the bars and clubs. Evidently he has decent success picking up 20 something women. He isn’t rich by any means, but he has decent job (freight truck driver). Decent looking and some confidence and finding people who just want to have a good time I guess works for him. Helps he is pretty funny too. I always joked he was the cool version of me because we constantly say things the other person is thinking.

3 Likes

This article is crazy well written.

The arguments folks give against it being “prostitution” seem like word games. Call it whatever lets you look at yourself in the mirror the next day, but these are transactional. That doesn’t mean they can’t also be intimate.

I don’t think any of this would make me happy, but I’m neither an attractive, homeless woman or a wealthy, sexually stunted old man. There’s a lot of things people do in their private lives that wouldn’t make me happy. I imagine that’s true for most of us. :slight_smile:

Wish I could ‘like’ your comment multiple times.

3 Likes

I was somewhat inclined to agree, but a few things about the article really bothered me. Ortberg’s response seems to crystallize some of my issues:

I think that what is “off” there is that the reporter is approaching her subject with contempt prior to investigation. She doesn’t value the work that “Tigress” does and thinks she’s incapable of making the right decisions for herself…

A commenter on Ortberg’s story also made a point that resonated with me:

Why the demeaning names for the women? Why the contempt for someone who finds they have a marketable skill and uses it to make money? I feel like there was a lot of sad, internalized misogyny being regurgitated onto the page.

7 Likes

Doesn’t this apply also to engineers profiting from/being used for their brains?

9 Likes

I’ll cast my vote for Article #2. As it points out, Article #1 is pretty well done from a craft standpoint, but never really escapes the basic conceit of its type, which is “there are fundamentally good (if imperfect) people, and there are fundamentally not-good (if fascinating/funny/smart/accomplished/sexy/etc.) people, and I the author am the former, and I presume that you the reader are also the former, and everyone I am writing about is the latter.”

15 Likes

I generally agree with the critique in Ortberg’s article. The whole article drips with condescension. But for me her conclusion at the end also really bugs me a lot- are mutually beneficial transactions really that baffling? “Everyone here is on the hustle, and everyone here thinks they’re winning.” As it is when I buy groceries, or a car, or sell my own services or a used stereo in a garage sale. We engage in transactions every day in which both sides get the good end of the deal. That kind of lack of basic economic thought makes me doubt intelligence far more than geographic ignorance:

I’ve never been terribly comfortable with this kind of condescension. So he doesn’t know there is a Naples in Italy? Does this make him a bad person? A Stupid person? Or merely someone who has been busy living his life and didn’t happen to become interested in Italy?

6 Likes

I’d personally be squicky participating on either side of such a transaction but that’s just me, I don’t revere nor sanctify everything everyone else does, and I don’t expect other people to feel the same way I do about everything consenting adults do.

What I saw in the article was women who had a great deal of personal agency in determining how they made a living. If they’ve got the ability to do it, and keep their head about them, I think it’s better than working as some corporation’s wage slave, being told no they’re not worth health benefits or maternal leave (which actually IS demeaning).

I think some women get upset at the ones who sell sex for money because they’re violating some biological rule, that says the sex was supposed to be used to obtain relationships, something meaningful instead of ephemeral. Which I think demeans the rest of what a woman brings to a relationship. Not all women, obviously, would feel this way, and I’m having to manguess about it, that’s just an explanation I could reason my way to.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if Universal Basic Income would wedge this sort of thing out or bring a wider section of society into the ‘moneyed’ side of the relationship.

I’m speaking from ignorance here, but I don’t think it would make a huge difference. As long as some people are significantly more wealthy than others, the moneyed party will continue to be able to offer things that would normally be out of reach to the other party, universal basic income or no.

3 Likes

so it is like every other article on the net longer than a paragraph you say? Anyway, I skimmed it briefly as I scrolled down to comment on your comment.

2 Likes

“Transactional love”? That’s a terrible term. It’s “Transactional fuck”. It’s just long term prostitution (which I’m fine with, but let’s not be deliberately, misleadingly, euphemistic about the exchange). This also goes for older women with boy toys - they can have fun too.

Love.

The kind you clean up with a mop and bucket.

Like the lost catacombs of Egypt only God knows where we stuck it.

1 Like

Plus ça change, et cherchez la femme.

Not really just the fuck. Actual affection, genuine or close enough, seems to be bulk of that exchange.

Haters gonna hate.

1 Like

Yeah, that GQ article… the ickiest thing in it by far is the author’s hostility to anything approaching honest open-minded evaluation, preferring to dig in those preconceived and judgmental heels. As said upthread, the final paragraphs reveal such a convoluted mess of denial that the author seems way too “uptight puritan” to be useful for a grown-up discussion of sex or relationships.

4 Likes

I don’t even know who “Pink” is…

Given that this is the Internet, it is that or Alabama.

1 Like

Are you a dude?

3 Likes