The true story of “We Built This City”- the most detested song in human history

This is the same guy who did Strange Things Happen In This World. Here’s Steve Goodman’s cover of Strange Things Happen, as well as a few other similarly lovely songs:

2 Likes

Bah, I love MacArthur Park, both the Harris and Summer versions! :smiley:

6 Likes

I do believe GG wanted to collaborate, but of course, he never got his shit together before he ODed… Because GG.

1 Like

That doesn’t automatically make it good…

2 Likes

Try it? I don’t have to… I’m tearing up just thinking about that poignant masterpiece! I mean… they were so happy together, and then… and then… “Rocky, I’ve never had to die before…” [sob]

Laugh if you must, but anyone who, upon hearing that the first time–at least when they were kids–didn’t get a little misty eyed is a monster. A MONSTER!!

1 Like

Not only is this subjectively wrong (as shown by other people’s comments), it is empirically wrong. This can be demonstrated by its like/dislike ratio on youtube; only 4% of ~80K viewers disliked it.

Compare this with Rebecca Black’s ‘Friday’; this was disliked by 80% of its ~3M viewers.
The largest volume of dislike on youtube was apparently amassed by Justin Bieber’s ‘Baby’, with ~6.7M dislikes (although only disliked by 60% of its viewers).

1 Like

I would pay anything to see Steve Goodman live again, even if it meant him singing every song on every Worst list ever compiled. ESPECIALLY if it meant that!

3 Likes

Yeah, but Friday is probably first heard on Youtube. We Built This City for a majority of people was first heard on the radio. And people who already don’t like it won’t be clicking on or downvoting the youtube video.

We really need a large sample double blind study to determine how awful it is. Does the video affect opinions one way or the other?

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure I would have participated in this with “$100 snifters of brandy” in play.

Saved by Stephen Colbert and The Roots.

4 Likes

I bought the entire LP through Columbia House.

In my defense, I like both the video and the song. It’s hell of a lot better than any of the Hair Metal of the time. Ugh.

“Reanimate your feet!”

bwah-hah-hah!

2 Likes

Blondie’s The Tide is High is my least favorite, most-heard Blondie song.

OK, maybe not a strictly fair comparison. Let’s compare with another song from 1985- Bowie & Jagger’s ‘Dancing in the Street’. Again, about 80K ratings; disliked by more than 5% of those.

1 Like

The goths at the end are the best part…

1 Like

Then you’d be a decomposer.

1 Like

EVEN IF you could build a city on rock’n’roll, you still couldn’t do it without mob concrete.

• David Letterman
6 Likes

“goths”, much like “punks” on TV in the 70s and 80s. And 90s. And always, I guess.

Still like the “punk music” that was on Night Court, though (S1E11 Harry and the Rock Star, I think - but can’t find it online for free).

1 Like

Well, of course… I thought that went without saying!

“Pop Goes The World” by Men Without Hats achieves a trifecta: Horrible lyrics, an unwatchable video, and either a case of laryngitis or the worst vocals mixing following a successful record.

Enjoy.

2 Likes