The true story of “We Built This City”- the most detested song in human history

You are now a BB hall of famer.

1 Like

Thanks to this thread for introducing me to the Great Society version of White Rabbit

(Grace Slick’s band prior to JA, and the original recording of the song. UPDATE: this might be a live version?)

Oh man, let’s go for broke. I bet you LOVED this one:

In all seriousness, the one that always made me tear up – hell, I’m tearing up just writing a post about it, was…

First amendment be dammed… it should be illegal to write a pop song about losing a dog…

3 Likes

But what does that have to do with access? Are songs in 5/11 or without chorus somehow “locked”?

No, no, no… they are clearly a mainstreamed version of Laibach! :wink:

4 Likes

I was a preteen when that came out, and I loved it.

Still do.

Edit to add: and: Bungle in the jungle. Another mid-70’s masterpiece, and I’ve always associated these songs together. Must have heard them at the same birthday party or some such…

2 Likes

Laibach fixed it:

2 Likes

Accessible in the sense of being something a typical musical audience can understand and enjoy due to it conforming to the traditions and conventions they’ve been exposed to. Why we wound up with what traditions and conventions we have I do not know, but it’s not just conventions drawn from thin air. They catch on and persist because they work.

As for 5/11 - five beats per bar is off-putting since it’s not in the typical genre. Brubeck’s Take Five is in 5/4 but it’s ridiculously hard to pull off writing a piece that’s listenable in non-standard time signatures, and Brubeck was a super-genius to pull it off. Why would anyone want to use 11th notes? A musician trying to keep that in their head would be a masochist playing something nightmarish to keep track of that nobody would want to hear.

5 Likes

Speaking of… when I was a small child my dad would play guitar and sing that for me. It was endlessly amusing to me.

I also grew up loving The Far Side. These things are related, I feel.

2 Likes

There’s an old joke about prog rock: “it’s the only musical genre where 23:17 could be either the time signature or the track length”.

Clark @ Popehat.

13 Likes

I need to ask a question to this citing “MacArthur Park” as one go the worst songs ever. Given that it is a parody of overwrought pop songs are you saying it fails as a parody, or is it something else . . . ?

This has always been a fave of mine…

1 Like

Didn’t know that one, but it’s good.

One of my favorite dog songs…but more upbeat, but somewhat melancholy anyway:

I used to agree until I ran into this pair:

I find these two perfectly accessible (and even somewhat singable) even though I have no idea what I’m singing. I guess that’s one of the reasons why they both are so widely known, even in the English-speaking world.

5 Likes

O_O

I wasn’t there, so I don’t know if there’s any veracity to that claim.

Maybe, just maybe, you should direct that needlessly passive-aggressive shit at someone who was actually culpable and not some unsuspecting stranger on the internet who has no power to undo the past.

Just sayin’.

5 Likes

Maybe she should hate herself for watching someone get raped and not doing anything… but I digress…

Nah, sounds like you already have it covered…

2 Likes

Not passive-aggressive: just inappropriate. Joan Jett just does that to me now.

Also, I found the title of the song too ironic to pass it up :wink:

It all depends on how dark your sense of humor is…

2 Likes

Good for you; keep it to yourself, please.

3 Likes