The Trump family's holidays and business trips have used up the entire Secret Service budget

he’s not a billionaire. Just sayin. Carry on.

3 Likes

While I agree with this in principle I believe that they are required to pay market rates for things like accommodations since they aren’t allowed to accept gifts.

That said it’s especially icky that these costs all coincidentally just happen to also line the president’s pockets.

Personal gifts, sure. What does that have to do with the president waiving highly profitable fees to the institution that is protecting his life…

It’s not just personal gifts. Secret Service agents can’t accept anything of value for free to avoid any appearances of impropriety or favoritism.

Private security answerable only to the head of state and not to the government is something that authoritarian dictators do a lot.

1 Like

Well, not yet anyway.

2 Likes

Brilliant idea! Rethink what “protection” means. Train them in situational awareness, maybe a little hand-to-hand, suit them up in Kevlar and helmets, and send them on their swanky vacations :wink: And implant them with tracking devices to deter any kidnapping-for-profit situations.*

*Only after they’ve burned through whatever was considered a fair and reasonable budget for regular protection, of course.

2 Likes

Wanted to weigh in on this convo:

There’s a happy medium between giving gifts and charging full price at a swanky resort. When I travel as a government contractor, and I have to stick within the GSA per diem rates. I’d be pleasantly surprised if the SS are being offered lodging at the resort at rates between the $100 and $181 (varies by month) noted on the GSA site for Palm Beach area, or offered full meals at the resort for the $59/day meals & incidental rates that military and other government staff are expected to be able to find.

I think offering lodging and meals at those rates would be the bare minimum 45 could do to try to help with the cost overruns. Bare minimum. And golf cart rentals should be $1/day.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.