The truth about Ada Lovelace

[Read the post]

1 Like

http://findingada.com/about/who-was-ada/

The woman most often known as ā€˜Ada Lovelaceā€™ was born Ada Gordon in 1815, sole child of the brief and tempestuous marriage of the erratic poet George Gordon, Lord Byron, and his mathematics-loving wife Annabella Milbanke.

6 Likes

I read a book a while back called (appropriately enough) The Difference Engine by Sterling and Gibson. Babbage and Lovelace perfect the mechanical difference engine and kick off the information age a couple centuries early. I can see the ebook at my library and Iā€™m pretty sure I have the paperback from eons past (the 80s or 90s, 1980s or 1990s, ahem). Iā€™ll have to revisit that one.

6 Likes

I remember that one! I think I still have it on my bookshelf.

Relevant. :wink:

http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/lovelace-the-origin-2/

9 Likes

Sterling was tweeting a lot about Lovelace last week (and Georgiana Babbage, and Mary Somerville).

that was the first book to be called ā€œsteam punkā€, though one could argue that anything set in the 1800s could qualify. Itā€™s amazing ro me how much fun people seem ro have dressing up for these things, when thereā€™s so little base material ro draw on!

I read the article earlier this morning, it was quite a great piece and definitely teases the mind as to what could have come to pass had Ada Lovelace never gotten cervical cancer. Also Babbageā€™s Difference Engine was maddeningly close to completion.

I think Babbage was too proud and ego-driven, but i believe he couldā€™ve made more progress had he opened up his designs up to more scholars of his time. Research into the design wouldā€™ve been refined and progressed faster, but alas open-sourcing your lifeā€™s work is heresyā€¦ more so in his time.

Edit:

I have a strong affinity toward all these early computing attempts. In high school we were tasked to write in-depth essays on early computers, computer languages, binary, hexadecimal, etc. I donā€™t quite remember all the details these days but reading about Ada and Babbage, and having other pioneers mentioned in the article was a treat. Would love to read more about other figures (:

Well, actuallyā€¦ K. W. Jeterā€™s ā€œInfernal Devicesā€ from 1987 was the first one called that though Jeter included Powers and Blaylock in it.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/03/birth-of-steampunk.html

1 Like

One could argue that-- but Steampunk, at itā€™s core, assumes that computer science had a cultural impact during the age of steam, instead of developing out of electricity and radio. Essentially, it assumes that a analytical engine had been developed into a practical technology.

1 Like

In a way weā€™re partially heading back into mechanics/electromechanics. MEMS switches, for example, can be much more EMP- and rad-hard than conventional solid-state semiconductors.

Thereā€™s your answer. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.