The UniLid is a one-size-fits-all cover that’ll guarantee you never buy plastic wrap again

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/the-unilid-is-a-one-size-fits.html

2 Likes

They are different sizes; more like “five-sizes-fit-all.”

6 Likes

One-size-fits-all but it looks like the set consists of different sizes? Hmmm.

6 Likes

Not in my fridge, thank you very much.

1 Like

The UniLid is a one-size-fits-all cover

The set comes in five sizes

Must be a large value of “one.”

2 Likes

This copy says “you probably have too many lids” and concludes “buy more lids”.

7 Likes

Also

In fact, most U.S. households spend over $200 a year on wraps and foils

I believe this not for a second.

11 Likes

Never buy plastic wrap again? I’m not sure you’ve considered everything people use plastic wrap for.

2 Likes

We’ve got a set of these - not the same brand by the looks, but same idea - and they are just… shit. The only function they serve is to increase the amount of frustration in the world.

3 Likes

I clicked the link. It claims 24 rolls/year. Nooo I don’t think so.

5 Likes

Have some. They’re handy to have around to cover the ocassional time we want to store things in the bowl they were made in but, as nobody in our house finds washing dishes by hand to be therapeutic, they’re a pain in the arse to clean as they don’t like to stay well spread in the dishwasher.

Nat Geo gives this unhelpful statistic:

“Last year, 5.3 million Americans used 10 or more rolls of plastic wrap.”

Unfortunately, their citations are too vague to follow up on… the ad’s claimed usage does seem suspect, though. Par for the course when it comes to BoingBoing Shop ad copy.

3 Likes

What, is there some sex fetish thing I’m too naive to know?

1 Like

Do you mean… clingfilm?

3 Likes

That’s perfect for my… um, maybe not.

2 Likes

This is crazy nuts. I moved in w/ my partner just over two years ago. With me, I brought (among other things) one opened and one unopened roll of saran wrap, as well as one opened, and one unopened roll of aluminum foil.

We only just used up the saran wrap about two months ago. Still haven’t gone through the foil.

If you are going through that much plastic wrap, I have a pretty good guess at the kind of stuff you look up while in Incognito mode…

… not that there’s anything wrong with that. Be sure and leave at least the nose or mouth uncovered. Safety first, kids.

1 Like

Isn’t there always? Rule 34.

But yes, Mirabel Morgan was famous in the 1970’s for writing books about how women should be submissive to husband and greet them at the door in something sexy (saran wrap often comes up in stories about her, though as far as I can tell that came from one of the attendees of her workshops, not directly from her).

Edit: probably should make it clear I find her opinions odious and regressive, though she clearly had a market for her sexist views of marriage.

1 Like

Sadly, these are surprisingly terrible. I bought a set and they are sort of ‘no size fits anything all too well’

I would not bother with them again.

4 Likes

dental dam substitute - covering toys - a thousand and one uses.

3 Likes