The United States Marine Corps is kicking ass when it comes to equality

Marines who are forward deployed spend a surprising amount of time doing that sort of work. Not just unloading and loading supplies, but the hellish task of filling hescos never seems to end. (Hescos are flat packed boxes that you unfold and fill with rocks or gravel as a barrier. They have become ubiquitous these days.)
I have no experience with female marines in actual combat. But the thing about Marines is that they do what they are ordered to do. In the sense that they are goal oriented instead of regulation oriented. I guess the usual impression is that they are drones, but what I experienced was a group of people who were very adept at problem solving. If the NCOs are told that there needs to be an M777 howitzer on top of that hill, they are going to find a way to get it up there. They may have to disassemble it and transport it on donkeys, but it will get up there somehow.
But the point is that if the Marines are told to integrate women into combat units, they are going to find a way to make it work. The issues I brought up complicate the problem, but will not keep it from being solved.
That being said, the issues will need to be addressed at some level.
I mentioned the privacy thing, and I agree that it comes down largely to culture. In a culture where undressing and performing bodily functions in the presence of members of the opposite sex was the norm, it would be a lot easier. I was personally raised to be fairly open about most such things.
The IDF is certainly at the vanguard of gender integration. But they have had the same universal issues we are encountering. "In a statement to The Times of Israel, a senior officer said that the “possibility of opening additional combat positions to girls is being tested all of the time” and that each position is examined from “a physiological and mental perspective.” As of today, he said, “infantry and the armored corps were ruled out for women.”
My personal view is that anyone who can meet the standards of mental and physical fitness should be able to do whatever they can qualify to do. If the standards have to be lowered to accommodate any group of people, then perhaps those people are better suited for other tasks in the service.
One perspective on the issue: https://taskandpurpose.com/debate-sparked-women-marine-infantry/

There are a bunch of diverse reasons why someone would enlist. Education is a big one. Military service is a pretty good way to get top notch pilot or medical training, in addition to GI Bill benefits.
Also, these days, we are pretty good at making sure that everyone feels empowered and self confident. Most people realize that a very positive self image does not always translate into abilities and skills. There are a bunch of opportunities in the military to explore one’s physical and mental limits. I have seen quite a few people who show up with completely unwarranted levels of self confidence, who have a bit of a crisis when they hit reality. Some are able to push through that, and come out the other side stronger than they ever thought they could be. Mentally and physically stronger.

1 Like

IIRC (it’s been a while), I was supposed to return fire.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.