The universe has no "up"

4 Likes

I’m up with that.

8 Likes

So this is actually a work of advanced cosmology?

Good to know.

9 Likes

So much like so much of my life.

11 Likes

No up? What? Was this research headed by an Australian or something?

Bert

6 Likes

Hmmmmm. If there be no “up,” please explain the next article: “Butt-lifting jeans a success.”

11 Likes

"“It’s official: You’re lost in a directionless universe” – you may be eaten by a Groo.

10 Likes

UP OUT

5 Likes

My theory is that the universe is actually a fireworks display on some planet in an even larger universe.

10 Likes

Wouldn’t everything have the direction of movement of everything from the center of the universe?

By definition it can’t have a direction of movement. It would have to have another frame of reference & if what you’re measuring does - it’s not the universe.

So - the center is the only fixed point in the entire universe. If you can find it.

But for the purpose of a balloon on earth, doesn’t gravity/atmosphere relationship necessitate that the primary direction of travel would be away from the earth’s surface, not as much in space in general? Isn’t that still conceived as out?

2 Likes

I’m with you. Out is from the earth’s center of mass.

For the universe out is from the the Big Bang

3 Likes

Well, I’ve always thought that they are oriented relative to either the rotational plane of the local solar system or the galactic disc. I mean, if you are going from one random star to another, most of those would lie in the same plane.

It is interesting though; I remember during the last episode of Start Trek TNG when the future Enterprise (under the command of Riker) came down on an enemy ship from “up” and it was so badass.

5 Likes

There is no center as everything is moving away from everything at least for what we can measure so just pick a direction.

5 Likes

So, the next time someone asks me, “What’s up?” I’ll reply, “Nothing.”

13 Likes

Sounds like my romantic life.

Do we have a direction of movement in relation to the cosmic background radiation? It would be as absolute a direction as possible, it seems. But be useless for navigation when I steal the enterprise.

4 Likes

All those big pictures for cosmic background radiation are 360 degree views… so yeah away from it or towards it… or both.

ETA Brian Cox having a say about it on QI

ooooooooo

ahhhhhhhhhh

1 Like

Yeah, but even then, about half the ships they encounter should be “upside down”.

3 Likes

That was also the key to the resolution in STII:TWOK. Khan was thinking two dimensionally in a three dimensional space battle, and it led to his downfall.

6 Likes