The universe has no "up"

Not as conventionally used. What I was getting at is that space and time are integral, so both do exist in proportion to the other. Other times exist now as places, and other places exist now as times. A year ago is a place which exists right now, even if it is beyond a horizon that you can no longer reach.

That’s quite true. “Here” always moves.

1 Like

Don’t worry y’all, we’re people.

You just show your fancy picture of the universe to most of us and we’re gonna start seeing faces, jesus and shit in it and BAM, it’s all about us again.

4 Likes

The galaxy is rotating. Can’t we all just use the right hand rule?

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder to read Bergson’s Time and Free Will again. Always good to feel the weirdness of time.

Saved me from saying the same. I was thinking that spacefaring species would’ve developed a folkway such that ships meeting in space would align themselves along a common axis similar to how they might do on a planet. Of course, given the size of the universe (and the galaxy, for that matter), that makes huge assumptions about what sort of spacefaring species might be out and about.

1 Like

And what a profound engineering blunder it is, to have to move your ship around in order to shoot at something. Did they not get how tanks work? The only possible exception might be when your primary weapon is so massive and powerful that it’s more practical to move the ship than to move the weapon. No, not the Death Star. I’m referring to the Space Battleship Yamato! Kicking ass and taking names all over the galaxy.

3 Likes

True. If every point is the center, then you have as much claim as anyone. (Except me)

2 Likes

You know, that’s one show I didn’t catch as a kid (we didn’t have cable) that I’ve been meaning to get around to watching. Do you think it is intelligent enough for an adult or is it kid-cliche dreck?

I saw it in the English language version called Star Blazers, back in the '80s. The original Space Battleship Yamato, like a lot of Japanese anime was written for a wide audience, and not just kids. The animation is of its time, i.e., cheap, with low frame rates, but the stories are good. There are a few free episodes available on YouTube, and all 3 seasons are available for a fee.

3 Likes

Those are fleets of ships travelling together. It would make less sense for them to be oriented differently.

There are more recent versions, including a live-action movie from 2010. I haven’t seen them but I assume the animation is better.

Huh? The second one down shows half a dozen star destroyers hanging around a Death Star under construction. As I remember seeing in the trailer, all those star destroyers are under way, but moving in at least four different directions. And yet all oriented upright relative to how we’re used to perceiving “up” on Death Stars.

And the third one down shows the Rebel fleet engaging Death Star II at the Battle of Endor. This ship arrangement only makes sense to moviegoer eyes, not actual interstellar naval deployment.

1 Like

Area: The area of the Universe is infinite.

Imports: None. This is a by product of infinity; it is impossible to import things into something that has infinite volume because by definition there is no outside to import things from.

Exports: None, for similar reasons as imports.

Population: None. Although you might see people from time to time, they are most likely products of your imagination. Simple mathematics tells us that the population of the Universe must be zero. Why? Well given that the volume of the universe is infinite there must be an infinite number of worlds. But not all of them are populated; therefore only a finite number are. Any finite number divided by infinity is zero, therefore the average population of the Universe is zero, and so the total population must be zero.

Art: None. Because the function of art is to hold a mirror up to nature there can be no art because the Universe is infinite which means there simply isn’t a mirror big enough.

7 Likes

Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers is very, very 70’s. Plenty of epic space battleage, but backed with funk music and everyone’s wearing flares.

It ain’t hard SF (“target speed forty space knots”), and it ain’t Shakespeare, but I’d give it at least an episode or two to see if it catches you.

The Holy Trinity of Leiji Matsumoto (Star Blazers), Tetsuo Yoshida (Battle of the Planets), and Go Nagai (Tranzor-Z, Grandizer, Gaiking) were responsible for for me growing up immersed in anime in late 70s through early 80s.

I was saddened that I didn’t get to see any Space Pirate Captain Harlock or Brave Raideen until many years later.

One reason why these cartoons often failed at “the universe has no up” is because it is much easier to draw spaceships parallel to each other and pan over them than it is to draw them changing in size as they go towards and away from the camera, although this too was done, albeit sparingly, and at minimal framerates. They often relied upon some wonky false perspective of having ships at different angles, but moving linearly in relation to the camera.

And potentially previous ones as well?

3 Likes

Makes about as much sense as a WWII battleship in space, but hey, at least knots are a measure of speed (looking at you Star Wars :wink: ).

There is an infinite number of whole numbers. Not all whole numbers are even therefore there is a finite number of even whole numbers.

1 Like

Some potentially previous ones, yes. But universes, like stars, may have different fates depending on their mass-energy and composition (which for a universe means the values of its fundamental constants established as its symmetry breaks). Just as some stars will collapse into a black hole, some possible universes will end in a Big Crunch, and in fact that was the favored theory for our own universe’s fate as recently as twenty years ago before astronomers obtained better measurements showing the expansion would defeat gravity. So while our universe is (probably) destined to end in a Big Rip, and thus subsequent Big Bangs, if any, born from it’s corpse would come from that, we don’t yet know of any way to study which of the possible preconditions, if any, gave rise to our own Big Bang.

1 Like

I’m afraid both sets are infinite. To understand how, I recommend this video…

The jury is still out on that.

While unlikely to ultimately be allowed by the as-yet unknown laws of quantum gravity, General Relativity does permit inter-universal wormholes to form from a black hole.

See above. Most physicists are exceedingly skeptical of infinities in nature. Math is another story entirely. In my view, philosophers should be as well. Like God, infinity is a mostly a place-holder/cop-out for what we don’t really understand.

2 Likes