The US government turned down Anne Frank's visa application

They also turned back a ship full of jewish refugees (as did Cuba and Canada):

I’m sure there are thousands of such stories. But the question is also whether or not we can say that people in the late 30s could guess what was coming next for European Jews.

6 Likes

Welp, we have our next Nazi based low budget sci-fi film!

4 Likes

From the article:

In terms of the refugee situation, Trump said he had "a feeling that a lot of bad things will happen out of this."

Yes, Douchemonger Trump, and many of those bad things will be helped along by your xenophobia, pandering, and prompting.

I wonder if he ever speaks to his immigrant wife? Or, more likely, if she’s ever allowed to speak?

Edit: I’m recalling why I feel so shitty today, having seen my country’s response to a tragedy and found it absolutely wanting, if not downright pathetic. That was in the lead up to Our Glorious Leader Dubbya’s war of aggression. Pretty clear what that got us.

4 Likes

Which, if you think about it- makes the current paranoia so much worse. We know what ISIS is like.

4 Likes

Right, but people in Europe/here are just acting in a knee jerk way, especially regarding refugees. Pogroms ahoy, I’m sure. Too many people are stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

1 Like

It just sounded to me like it was a person stating their opinion. It would be helpful to refer back to what they said, but since they have been purged, we can’t do that, can we?

And even if they escape ISIS, many of them will drown in the Mediterranean. There’ve been over 3000 dead this year alone. People like to point out that there’s so many young men among the refugees coming to Europe - that would be because many of the kids who try the trip don’t make it, so they rather leave them in the big refugee camps until they can get them to follow via safer routes. Which is why resettlement from those camps is so important.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.