UPDATED: The US Patent and Trademark Office is ready to hand over an exclusive trademark for "Dragon Slayer" for fantasy novels

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/12/uspto-malpractice.html

2 Likes

Yeah, Letters of Protest to the Assistance Commissioner are pretty worthless. The 30-day opposition window opens on November 6, 2018. Anyone with standing can file an opposition - you do not even need an attorney.

5 Likes

Dibs on “Rescuing Princesses”. Totally something I invented.

6 Likes

I invented “Once Upon A Time”. Sometimes if I’m feeling real plucky, I’ll spell time like this: tyme.

It’s a small touch but my readers appreciate the effort, I’m sure. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

While I’m not generally for revoking rights… after you’ve shown yourself to be a copyright dickweed you should have a probationary period. Should you then submit another troll-based copyright application, you should have your rights to submit copyrights revoked for ten years.

(Also, I know this is a terrible idea that would be abused immediately.)

1 Like

Also not quite how that works. Copyright is automatic upon creation of a work. Trademarks are a different matter altogether.

3 Likes

prince-harry-um-no

5 Likes

Author Name will be devastated.

(Centre left of the cover image…)

1 Like

What about Saint George, patron saint of England and reputed Dragon Slayer?

America must be littered with St. George’s churches and parishes and whatnot. If you want to throw a spanner in the works of American government -especially in the current climate- claim religious discrimination.

“Yeronner, this awful pagan wants to copyright my faith!”

4 Likes

I’m gonna trademark “About The Author” and “This book is a work of fiction and any resemblance to an actual person or even is entirely coincidental.” And “by.”

And “Prologue.”

2 Likes

2 Likes

My Wyrm Molester series is safe.

5 Likes

If Faleena Hopkins writes Cocky Dragon Slayer, she and Michael Scott Earle can have hours of fun suing each other.

3 Likes

Ooooh, I like that idea!

But wouldn’t that lead those Too Much Alike authors into a state of Belligerent Sexual Tension leading into a Happily Ever After ending?*

*Out of kindness, I have omitted links to the relevant TVTropes pages. You’re welcome.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

What about Dragon “Slayer”?

1 Like

I prefer dealing with dragons instead, but maybe that’s just me.

:wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.