The US will pay Tesla to open its charging network

Imagine if houses all had different outlet designs and appliance mfrs only supplied some appliances with certain plug types.

That doesn’t happen. I cannot think why? Is it, umm, regulation?

FFS, governments (every-fucking-where) JUST REGULATE AND MANDATE A SINGLE CHARGER TYPE AND TELL ANY MFR WHO DOESN’T LIKE IT TO SUCK IT UP OR FUCK OFF.

ETA that ‘MFR’ above might be short for manufacturer, or it might not. :wink:

9 Likes

How many of these charging stations will be using diesel generators? (/s)

1 Like

Feels optimistic. I can imagine Tesla starts selling a CCS adapter for non-Teslas to carry around. Along with turning on the software side and calling that good.

True for destination chargers, not for super chargers. Which is part of what feels so wrong about this announcement. The 7,500 number is a combination of super chargers and destination chargers. For the destination chargers this already works today with an adapter you can buy, unless the charger is specifically locked out. Sounds like flip a software bit and those are all immediately open, bring your own adapter. Washington Post says the number includes “at least 3,500 fast chargers”, those super chargers and an unknown number of destination chargers. Meaning, out of 17,740 fast chargers, they’re going to open up 3,500 of them. Just 20%, and over 2 years. While nice, doesn’t sound worth billions.

This was true under two different time scales. Prior to November 2022, Tesla offered up the connector to other companies, but with a list of of restrictions unrelated to the connector. Things like not suing Tesla over any patent infringement for any patent the company had. It’s easy to see why companies with huge patent portfolios didn’t jump at using this and adopted CCS instead.

In November 2022, Tesla opened it up with no restrictions. This was clearly an attempt to meet standard requirements and qualify them for some of the funding in the new law. Since, if you use raw count of EVs on the road and charging infrastructure already built, the Tesla connector probably does have a majority. However, if you count the number of vehicle models being sold with each connector type, the percentage with a Telsa connector is way less than half. Which means, given enough time, CCS is going to win. Unless those other models sell so few that Tesla is able to move more volume than all of them combined.

If they had made this change 5 years ago, I suspect the Tesla connector would have been the standard and not CCS.

3 Likes

Hey! Sarcasm aside, that’s a fair question since many people wonder about charging stations that use, say, coal in their state to generate electricity.

However, the EPA has us covered there! they say nope, even then EVs are more efficient, and even have a trusty calculator if you want to know the specifics for a particular area of the US, and a particular EV.

8 Likes

So I did some googling, and it seems that in 2014 Tesla offered up it’s connector to the market but wanted other car companies to chip in on Tesla charging station maintenance and build in charging cost to the initial car price (because I guess Tesla chargers are free to use?). A newer article says that one of the problems was that while charging, the station learns stuff about the car and other car companies didn’t like that. Also, newer charging stations can exceed the current Tesla 250kw so moving to Tesla standard is now a downgrade.

3 Likes

Teslas already come with a dongle but it doesnt adapt properly to all adapters, which we found out to our dismay in Oklahoma.

Look at this mess of adapters!

10 Likes

TIL that, until 1992, electrical appliances sold in England were not required by law to have a plug attached. Appliances were mostly sold with only a raw wire, and users were expected to wire the plugs themselves.

8 Likes

Mostly because, previously, wiring a plug was a skill most people had and plugs weren’t ‘hard wired’ like today, which meant you could take your plug off your old appliance and put in on your new one.

Also, stores could make a few pence extra profit by selling you a plug with your new appliance. (Or - gasp - offering to wire if for you and either charging you for that or at least improving their ‘customer service’ credentials if doing it for free - which was the predominant business model, I seem to recall.)

Less waste, fewer plugs needing to manufactured, etc.

Then the safety elf crept up on us. Along with the liability culture (‘that man in the shop put the plug on for me and now my house has burnt to the ground’) and the risk aversion that went with it. (Plaintiff: ‘that appliance made my house explode’, Defence: it was the way they wired the plug that done it’.)

From the article:

It seems that many Britons have never mastered the knack of putting on plugs. According to Government figures, between 1980 and 1989, 2,900 people required hospital treatment as a result of injuries caused by incorrectly wired plugs; in the 1980-88 period, 32 people died because of faulty plugs or plug-wiring problems. There Used to Be a Reason

“Too many people are injured each year,” Mr. Leigh said. “I am responding to widespread support for this move from both industry and consumers.” He singled out for praise one big British department store chain, BHS P.L.C., which decided last September to sell with plugs all of its lights, which are its only electrical products.

“The policy has been very popular with our customers and we think it has given us a competitive edge,” said Rupert Gravelle, a marketing manager at BHS, formerly British Home Stores.

3 Likes

People learned to wire plugs because they had to, because “houses all had different outlet designs”

3 Likes

People were wring plugs in UK long after the 3 square pin model we all know and love today became pretty much a de facto standard. The article talks about the 80s and they were ubiquitous by then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.