The video for Len's 'Steal My Sunshine' is an amazing time capsule

Originally published at: The video for Len's 'Steal My Sunshine' is an amazing time capsule | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Oh, Gen-X
D2cHj5KWkAA5012

2 Likes

I don’t mind if BoingBoing reminds me of this song every thousand days or so.

9 Likes

Are we posting old school bops? ok

6 Likes

Though for some reason I didn’t realise it was from the same act as Steal My sunshine until I’d already known both songs for over a decade, I always rather liked the cheery Cryptic Souls Crew, also from the Len stable. Similar carefree vibes in a cooler climate from that video:

…But it doesn’t seem to feature Abdominal or D-Sisive (or many of the others I don’t recognise) like on the album version:

3 Likes

Anyone else catch the early Vice sticker on his scooter? Makes me wonder if it was already there or if they put it on for the video. That was kind of the beginning of viral marketing when any intern who was heading out for vacation would take a packet of vinyl stickers and slap them on everything they could find.

5 Likes

I am 100% sure you are right and it was there on purpose. I noticed it and thought “Shit…Vice has been around that long”!?

1 Like

Huh, never heard this song before either.

But I do like Steal My Sunshine. Always a decent pick-me-up.

1 Like

From Steal My Sunshine - Wikipedia :

When Len had signed to Work Records, one of its demands was to be able to direct its own videos.[7] The group used a $100,000 budget to make the video. They flew to Daytona Beach, Florida with two dozen friends while the area was crowded with people on their spring vacations. They spent much of the budget on alcohol, buying so much that they broke their hotel’s elevator trying to lift it. They shot the video in the afternoon so that they could recover from hangovers in the morning and drink in the evening. The scenes were shot without a script or storyboard.

9 Likes

I do feel strongly that the Canadian-ness of the band overcomes the Florida-ness of the locale.

2 Likes

the overarching theme of spring break videos of the time was “people behaving badly” – so this is almost like a home video of people being nice

7 Likes

What a great interview. He’s struggling to convey his shock at how it all happened, and he still hasn’t drawn any conclusions over 15 years later. He has a kid-like sense of awe about the whole thing.

1 Like

It could just be convergent evolution but it felt like certain moments in Korine’s Spring Breakers referenced this video, which made sense as this video fed into the whole spring break in Florida image/myth.

Oh and srry/not srry I hated this song when it came out because it obviously was a hit by ripping off a recognizable and awesome riff.

Best version of this song (cued to start):

4 Likes

I must be getting old. One of my first thoughts was why aren’t they wearing helmets. They should be wearing helmets if they’re going to be riding mopeds/scooters/what have you.

Also yes the fashion is undeniably 90s but is it just me or has the last 20 years of fashion been less revolutionary than the previous 20 years before this? Or is it just perspective?

1 Like

I was going to say something about how they could wear the exact same clothes now, but then I remembered that the 90’s are back in right now, so they look exactly the same as the 20-somthings I pass around town.
Alas, I wasn’t cool then, so I’m still not cool now.

1 Like

“Steal my sunshine” is the appropriate mood for my cats today!

14 Likes

Username checks out

5 Likes

Break from the 1976 disco hit “More More More”, 16s in to this slip

4 Likes

There’s something to this (cf. hauntology) but recent analysis has suggested we’re just not noticing the fads, vibes and subcultures anymore because the internet a) scrambled the gatekeeping and exploitation cycle and b) saturates everything immediately, and also c) we’re old.

9 Likes