Today marks the 20-year anniversary of Len's Steal My Sunshine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/22/today-marks-the-20-year-annive.html

5 Likes

20 years? how can this even be possible??

8 Likes

old

12 Likes

Song of the summer, 1999. The song to make you forget about Y2K.

2 Likes

Video shot in Daytona Beach - “The Spring Break Capital of the World”

I wonder if Microsoft every hired them to play at MS Build?

I had always assumed that the song had not spread beyond Canada.

2 Likes

I like that song. It came out when I was 21, just moved in with my girlfriend and dropped out of college and went to work at the dot com. The world was so full of promise!

3 Likes

Much like the World Series, it’s easy to be number one when no-one else is competing.

3 Likes

I always feel obliged to post this follow up, even though it’s getting pretty dated.

1 Like

I love this song. Still works for Summer.

2 Likes

God damn it Rob, stop reminding me of my own mortality and post some pictures of bananas instead.

4 Likes

Dude, I won’t lie, I think that’s a fantastic pop song.

3 Likes

Through the lens of 20 years and a post 9/11, “post truth” world, the kind of optimism we had at the end of the late 90’s just feels unreal to me. The world was still a seriously broken place, and we had virtually all of the same problems that we have now plus a lot of other things were much worse/being more blatantly ignored, but it felt less scary.

It is a damned catchy tune though.

6 Likes

Basically the worldwide radioplay hit of summer '99.

1 Like

Despite looking like a precursor to Jersey Shore…

There were a lot of great 1999 songs. This wasn’t one of them. Though still less offensive than Every Morning, Livin’ La Vida Loca, All Star, and Mambo No. 5.

1 Like

ricky

2 Likes

Appropriate palate cleanser:

1 Like

I hear you. In my tiny corner of the universe things actually turned out great, though. I didn’t get many of the things I thought I wanted, but the things I did get were so much better.

And at least 1999 gave us this.

4 Likes