Today marks the 20-year anniversary of Len's Steal My Sunshine

For 20 blissful years I’d forgotten that song existed. Until now. Thanks for the earworm, @beschizza.

3 Likes

I think you may have the date wrong - or at least the song also came out earlier in 1999. I remember this song in the movie “Go”, which premiered April of 1999.
It was available on the soundtrack at that point as well.

2 Likes

memorable quote, off the top of my head: “What are we doing? It’s a MIATA!”

3 Likes

how is this for feeling old: the lead actress of Go is the little girl in Baron Munchousen. Go is an underrated flick lost in the shuffle of the Hollywood deluge of Pulp Fiction clones.

Steal My Sunshine is a powerhouse pop song, but it was a fluke that Len did it (or maybe their label threw them the beat the label’s producer had already crafted to be a summer hit.) I got a promo copy of the full album, a cool picture disc. I thought the single was dope. after giving the LP a spin, it was just filler. Not any other noteworthiness on the entire thing; it was bad, even. This is why I suspect the label made the SMS beat. Wasn’t hearing any talent otherwise.

2 Likes

Sometimes the best we can do is just worry about our corner of the universe. I didn’t cause this, I didn’t want this, and I’m doing all I can to stop it, but I am also not responsible for it.

1 Like

You’ve just sent me into a counterfactual fugue dream imagining if Al Gore had gotten a few hundred more votes in Florida. More competent executive appointees might have read the memos warning about 9/11 – in any case the Iraq war would definitely not have happened without Bush and Cheney. Gore + and the Democratic-run senate might have implemented cap-and-trade and started to curb global warming before it was too late…

Let’s go back and do that! Then maybe we can get in another decade of vapid optimism before the Nazis show up.

I give it a 10… It’s got a beat and I can dance to it.

I love Foo Fighters <3 This is their best video by a long shot, bonus points for having Tenacious D in the vid.

2 Likes

Yep; even I couldn’t avoid it.

Most overplayed song, spanning multiple decades.

I was learning how to play All Star on the ukulele because memes. I really need to get back into practice mode, life got really stressful and i stopped practicing

1 Like

Which let’s not forget, is a fucking banger of a song.

2 Likes

Seeing that list reminded me that I was in my own musical world of gabber and hardcore techno in the late 90s. I don’t know what was getting in the charts in any country back then.

It’s worse than that. I have more nostalgic feeling for the original sampled song than I do for the Len one. I had never even seen the video because I think 1999 was post-MTV.

2 Likes

I always liked Len back in the mid-1990’s when they were more of a shoegaze indie band. Here’s their song Candy Pop from their 1995 album Superstar.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.