The weight of a kilogram changed overnight; the length of a second may be next

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/20/the-weight-of-a-kilogram-chang.html

5 Likes

Not an issue for me, I stick to the US measurements, avoids that messy metric system I dos.

4 Likes

dons pedant hat

The weight of a kilogram changes all the time - it depends on where you are on the earth’s surface, how high up you are, etc.

I think the news item here is that the mass of a kilogram has changed, but maybe for the last time. The physical artifact was always problematic, whereas the Planck constant is, well, constant.

13 Likes

My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it.

20 Likes

Bad news: the US pound is officially defined in terms of the kilogram.

15 Likes

Oh, I ride a motorcycle too.

6 Likes

You’re thinking of England. We use the Dollar in the US.

15 Likes

Yeah, and we still have penny coins to fill jars with.

6 Likes

I’m still waiting for Hella to be made a real measurement. At least i can rest easy knowing that a Butt load is technically correct

7 Likes

40 rods==eighth of a mile
hogshead=64 gallons.

so 1/512 mpg…

yes, yes, it’s a simpsons reference

3 Likes

So, for comparison purposes, if my predator city (Mortal Engines reference) gets 10 chains to the puncheon, do I meet the EPA guidance?

3 Likes

So I’ll end up either younger and lighter or older and heavier?

6 Likes

By how much, exactly?

1 Like

*Reads headline*
*Runs excitedly to the bathroom scale*
*Is disappointed*

11 Likes

How many Butt Loads to the Metric Crapton?

6 Likes

Depends on what the gravitational field surrounding the artifact is.

1 Like

Fun fact: the backup standard kilogram is a jar full of pennies kept at the Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa.

7 Likes

The English half-penny weighed 1/16 of an ounce, whereas a B&H filtered cigarette weighed 1 gram.
This used to be important… :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

If it will do better than 0.3125 furlongs/dram, you’re good.

4 Likes

Oh, for the days when you could adjust the tracking force on your turntable by taping a dime to the tonearm. That’s the sort of maker culture we’ve lost in the digital era.

5 Likes