The weird(er) US-North Korea summit that ended with 4.5 hours of silent staring

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/12/the-weirder-us-north-korea-s.html

3 Likes

StareDown

22 Likes

as far as “awkward” one of the most crazy, spiteful things I could imagine Trump doing would be to casually invite Kim to visit the white-house so that will probably happen by 2020 to distract from all the other criminal investigations he can’t quite shut down before the election and the press will 100% take the bait and focus on that exclusively for weeks - if I’m wrong about the subject then I am terrified about what he’ll come up with to distract instead

but seriously, how do people not pee for 11+ hours? diapers?

8 Likes

Presumably Ri knew that he wasn’t going to call a recess, and could wear a diaper to prepare himself. The Americans were likely caught off guard - just as Ri planned.

2 Likes

I can stare at this for 4.5 hours. I won’t… but I could.

4 Likes

Perhaps Gen. Kapp wore diapers all the time and that simple fact conveniently played in his favor. After all, Ri got up and walked out first.

5 Likes

In Mandy Len Catron’s Modern Love essay, “To Fall in Love With Anyone, Do This,” she refers to a study by the psychologist Arthur Aron (and others) that explores whether intimacy between two strangers can be accelerated by having them ask each other a specific series of personal questions. The 36 questions in the study are broken up into three sets, with each set intended to be more probing than the previous one. […]

The final task Ms. Catron and her friend try — staring into each other’s eyes for four minutes — is less well documented, with the suggested duration ranging from two minutes to four. […] “Two minutes is just enough to be terrified,” she told me. “Four really goes somewhere.”

3 Likes

Maybe they were trying to ‘cloud-bust’ each other a la “The Men Who Stare At Goats”.

2 Likes

I imagine that the hours Mommy and Baby spend staring into each others eyes seals the Mommy-Baby deal!

3 Likes

Ahhhhy ahhhhy ahhhh!
Waaaah waaaah waaaaaah.

5 Likes

(couldn’t resist… I <3 this song…)

10 Likes

Thematic music.

7 Likes

4.5 hours is about right, nobody wants to go on after Alan Alda

8 Likes
  1. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?

It depends. Is the mind on a hard drive, or just out there in the ether? Is the body frozen, or perhaps in manageable pieces?
/s

Seriously – damn straight I’m keeping the body! I’ve learned a lot in the last 21 years.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the opening scene of (2004) Battlestar Galactica.

5 Likes

stares

Post must be 9 chars

3 Likes

Ok, I’m only familiarizing myself with these questions so they cannot be used against me! incepted

4 Likes

Chicken! :smile:

3 Likes

Guilty as charged! :wink:

3 Likes

Perhaps future negotiations should be conducted under the rules of chess where a timer is used to limit the interval between moves.

1 Like