The Welsh alphabet

It helps to know a bit of Welsh to get around the Philly suburbs…

12 Likes

I sing in a Welsh choir. Welsh is remarkably easy to pronounce because the spelling is so phonetic

12 Likes

It seems like a lot of it is using the sound of a letter as its name instead of having a distinct name.

Not really, there’s 2 or 3 Welsh place names.

2 Likes

So Welsh is related to Qwghlmian, right? :wink:
(Refer to Cryptonomicon)

4 Likes

Hawaiian wishes to jan-ken-po with you over the usage of l, w, and many of the vowels.

3 Likes

Is that real? Please tell me that’s real!

5 Likes

Most scholars consider Qwghlmian to be an obscure branch of the Brittonic language group, other members of which are Welsh, Cornish, and Breton.

3 Likes

Oh yes, it actually happened.

10 Likes

Isn’t that the password they used in Barbarella?

4 Likes

I have spelled, pronounced, and even stayed a while in Machynlleth.

7 Likes

Shortened to Llanfairpwll… Which is not easier at all.

10 Likes

Often shortened to Llanfair PG, as @xkot noted above, but still not easy. The sign is deceptive, because it glosses over the fact that the “ll” in Welsh is a sound not present in English, something like “thl” or “hl”, and the “ch” is a gutteral sound as in the German “ach”.

9 Likes

Oh, there are WAY more than that. I always find it funny when broadcasters new to the area try to pronounce them, too. They tend to mess up these places:
Colwyn, Gladwyne, Tredyffrin, Bala Cynwyd, Bryn Athyn, Llanerch, Berwyn, the Merions, the Gwynedds, and Uwchlan

As well as these roads:
Clwyd, St. Asaphs, Lllandrillo, Cymry, Lllanelly, Derwydd, Derwyn, and Derwen

There are even more spread across the Philly area suburbs. When driving through Chester County listening to the GPS system is also good for a few laughs. :wink:

7 Likes

https://youtu.be/Nrkgdj0bVAo
This clip makes it pretty easy to imagine why the language might have appealed to Tolkien.

4 Likes

Not even the Welsh could pronounce a triple “L”. :wink:

(My grandparents came from Llandrillo, Denbighshire.)

6 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve seen and read too many…now they’re multiplying! :scream:

Was planning a trip to Europe this year with sightseeing in Wales, but with all the Brexit drama, I might postpone until 2020.

3 Likes

LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWRYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH

I feel like, once it gets to the LLLL part, someone is just fucking with me.

5 Likes

This is the UK, “Brexit Drama” involves tutting and sending stiffly worded letters to the Daily Heil.

Oh, and I thought that the “Welsh Tract” was the medial name for the phlegm glands?

5 Likes